Late last year, Dunning gave Doubledown a $300,000 short-term loan to cover operating expenses—on top of $3.575 million he invested in the second half of 2008. Dunning’s total investment in the company is said to be roughly $8 million. Legal TroublesAccording to court documents, an arbitrator on December 3 awarded Deedee Morrison, the founder of Private Air, $450,000 in salary, as well as payments contingent on “net annual sales revenues.” Doubledown filed a countersuit, alleging Morrison defrauded the company over the value of the magazine’s advertising contracts, which was dismissed.Morrison did not return multiple requests for comment from FOLIO: this week seeking comment.Earlier this month, Doubledown asked for—and was granted—an extension for the award to be entered into judgment by the court. Doubledown Media, the former publisher of magazines aimed at the Wall Street elite, has filed for bankruptcy protection.According to a petition filed in a Manhattan court, Doubledown has between $10 million and $50 million in assets and liabilities, Reuters reported Wednesday. Earlier this month, the New York-based company—which published Trader Monthly, Dealmaker, Private Air, Corporate Leader and the Cigar Report—said it was ceasing operations.Before that, president Randall Lane [pictured] and chairman Jim Dunning—Doublesdown’s primary investor—had been searching desperately for a buyer. According to a letter sent by Lane to investors in December, the company lost $3 million in 2008.
BTRCThe Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) on Thursday directed all International Internet Gateways (IIG) to shut down another 1279 pornographic websites, reports UNB.”IIG already has started shutting down various kinds of porn sites following the order of the BTRC,” said Emdadul Haque, general secretary of Internet Service Providers Association of Bangladesh (ISPAB).He also said, “We welcome the government initiative to keep internet safe through shutting down porn sites. This will help to keep internet service safe.”This is the regulatory body’s third move within two weeks as it ordered the International Internet Gateway (IIG) on 6 Feb to shut 244 porn sites and on 8 Feb to close 1300 others.Earlier in November 2016, the High Court directed the government to take initiative to block pornography websites and following the order, BTRC had blocked about five hundred such sites at that time.
A man gestures next to damaged houses after an earthquake hit the area of Gangga on 12 August 2018. Photo: AFPThe death toll from an earthquake on the Indonesian island of Lombok has topped 400, authorities said Monday, as bodies were still being recovered from the ruins of destroyed buildings.The shallow 6.9-magnitude quake on August 5 levelled tens of thousands of homes, mosques and businesses across Lombok, just a week after another tremor surged through the island and killed 17.“Search and rescue teams are still removing victims who were buried beneath collapsed buildings and landslides,” said national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho.The total number killed in the quake is now 436, Nugroho said, with more than 1,300 injured and nearly 353,000 displaced.The hardest hit region of Lombok has been in the north, where 374 people died and more than 137,000 have been forced from their homes, according to the latest official tolls.Most of the displaced are sleeping under tents or tarpaulins near their ruined homes or in evacuation shelters, while makeshift medical facilities have been set up to treat the injured.Split open roads, particularly in the mountainous north of the island, are still proving to be a major headache for relief agencies trying to distribute aid.Nugroho said three helicopters, including one from the military, have been used to drop supplies to isolated communities, many of which urgently needed clean water, food, bedding and medicine.Meanwhile, the economic toll of the quake -including its impact to buildings, infrastructure and productivity – has ballooned to 5 trillion rupiah ($342 million).“This damage and loss is very large,” said Nugroho, adding the final figure was likely to be higher.Survivors of the quake have been shaken by hundreds of aftershocks, including a shallow 5.9-magnitude quake last Thursday which caused people to flee evacuation shelters screaming and crying.Authorities had previously said around 13,000 people sustained injuries and 387,000 were evacuated.Nugroho said the drop in the number of displaced people was due to the fact many were now spending time at their homes and gardens during the day and returning to shelters at the night. Others had chosen to return to their homes for good.
Jahangir Alam, Ofaz UddinIn the film ‘Aynabaji’, the protagonist takes a convict’s place in jail in exchange of money. And now life imitates art in Gazipur.A man named Jahangir Alam went to jail in place of a convict, Ofaz Uddin, two months ago in Kaliakair upazila of Gazipur. Ofaz Uddin was accused of illegally taking over land belonging to the forest department and was accordingly sentenced to two years in jail last year.According to the forest department officials, Ofaz Uddin had been living in Bishwaspara for long. He built a house on the forest department’s land and was accused of selling government land as well.The forest department filed a case against him in 2006 and the court sentenced him to two years impriosnment on 7 July 2018. Ofaz went into hiding after the verdict. Local people said Ofaz convinced Jahangir to surrender in his stead for Tk 300,000. He also promised Jahagir to arrange bail.Jahangir, 30, was a driver and drug addict. He lived in Kholapara village in Kaliakair upazila. He is now in Kashimpur High Security Prison. The Prothom Alo Correspondent went to find Ofaz Uddin at the jail on Sunday when Jahangir revealed his actual identity.Jahangir later explained the incident to the correspondent.Ofaz Uddin told him to surrender in court as Ofaz and seek bail three months ago, Jahangir said.The court sent him to jail rejecting the bail plea, he added.Ofaz Uddin’s mobile phone is switched off. His son told the correspondent that his father was on the run since the court verdict.The inspector of Gazipur court said, Ofaz was now accused of fraudulence with the court.Jahangir’s mother said her son hadn’t come home for two months.The family came to know that Jahangir was in jail, though they did not know the reason, she added.The public prosecutor in the case, Rezaul Karim, told Prothom Alo, Jahangir would be released if the relevant documents proved his innocence in the court.
The focus will always be on-the-ground coverage, not news analysis, he added. “Viewers want to be shown, not told, what’s happening in the world.”ABC News Live is going to be exclusively available via the Roku Channel at launch, but Smith said that the programming may also show up on the ABC News website during breaking news events. He declined to comment on other over-the-top opportunities for the new online news network.Roku first launched its Roku channel as an ad-supported VOD service on its own streaming devices and Roku TVs in September. Since then, the channel has become the third-most-popular ad-supported channel on Roku’s platform, thanks to free movies and TV shows from studios like Lionsgate, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Sony Pictures Entertainment and Warner Bros.ABC News Digital is the first live feed to launch on the Roku Channel, but it won’t remain the only one: The set-top box maker also struck partnerships with upstart news network Cheddar, People TV and Newsy to carry their live feeds on the channel. People TV and Newsy in particular will include a lot of pre-programmed content as a linear feed, something that could prove popular with viewers who want to watch internet TV in a more lean-back fashion. “There is value in that linear schedule,” agreed Holmes.The on-demand catalog of the Roku channel has grown from around 500 movies and TV show episodes to over 1000 such videos since its launch a little over half a year ago. Holmes said that the company plans to add more content in the coming months, but that it still wanted to keep the channel curated. That’s why the company is also set to add a new collections feature to the Roku Channel, which is supposed to help consumers get to things like action flicks across a variety of genres and sources more easily.The company plans to roll out these new collections, as well as live news programming, on the Roku Channel when it launches the next version of the Roku smart TV OS next month. Roku previously announced plans to also bring the Roku Channel to Samsung Smart TVs this summer. Adding live news programming, as well as extending the reach of the Roku Channel, is one way Roku is growing the amount of ad-supported viewing on its platform. Although it is primarily known for its streaming devices, Roku’s business is squarely focused on monetizing its audience through advertising. The company is selling all of the ads for the Roku Channel, including those shown on ABC News Live, but Holmes said that the network retained full editorial control over the placement of its ad breaks. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 ABC News is set to launch a new free 24-hour news network, dubbed ABC News Live, on the Roku Channel next month. In addition, Roku is also going to add live linear channels from Cheddar, People TV and Newsy to the ad-supported channel. “It’s a lot like a CNN moment for OTT,” said Roku’s vice president of programming during a briefing with Variety.The new channel, which will at launch only be available on Roku’s ad-supported Roku channel, will feature 24/7 programming, including breaking news and live event coverage. The channel will rely heavily on ABC News’ worldwide network of correspondents, and carry the same programming as ABC’s broadcast network during breaking news events.Live feeds from by ABC News correspondents will be complemented by verified and curated live video feeds from social media, put in context by hosts that are supposed to act more like navigators than traditional news anchors. “That footage is entirely raw, entirely unfiltered,” said ABC News Digital vice president Colby Smith. “Our ambition here is not to recreate cable news for Roku.” Popular on Variety
Kolkata: The first Primary Health Centre (PHC) in New Town will be opened shortly.The centre will be manned by a specialised doctor and the facility will be expanded over a period of time. It may be mentioned that New Town is coming up as a medical hub and many private players have set up their hospitals and medical centres in the area. They are also treating every type of disease including cancer. However, the need for setting up a state-run institution was urgently felt as a part of the expansion of the net of state-run health establishments. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseIt may be recalled that availing treatment in a state-run medical establishment in Bengal has become completely free. Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has also said that to get the best quality treatment, people from neighbouring states and countries are coming to Bengal. Bengal is the only state in the country where heart transplantation and kidney transplantation are done free of cost in the state-run hospitals. In this backdrop, the PHC in New Town is also expected to provide quality treatment to the patients, free of cost.