Local companies favour proposed Pine Pass upgrades

first_imgThe estimated cost of the improvements is $135 million. But, the Northern Development Chair Evan Saugstad (and Mayor of Chetwynd) says that money could easily be recovered.He says the investment would help businesses claw back work in the B.C. oil and gas and forest industries, currently being done by Alberta firms.[asset|aid=2206|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=896d169230e15b117a8b913fde779481-Evan Saugstad 1_2_Pub.mp3]The report is now in Minister Shirley Bond’s hands. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will review the proposal, and determine whether to go ahead with the upgrades.For a copy of the Northern Development Initiative Trust Economic Assesment, click on the attachment below.Advertisement Other loads that have been rerouted through Alberta include compressor station components, combines, manufactured homes, large dozers, drilling tanks, bridge components, and coal and ore trucks used in the mining industry.Greg Hammond is the President of Greensmart Homes, which has offices in Dawson Creek and Fort St. John. He says if the existing low clearance overpasses are upgraded as recommended, his company would be able to bid competitively on large pre-manufactured structural building projects in the interior and northwest B.C.Hammond says currently, the majority of Greensmart’s opportunities for large projects are located in northeast B.C. and Alberta.[asset|aid=2205|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=896d169230e15b117a8b913fde779481-Greg Hammond 1_1_Pub.mp3]Advertisement Local businesses are backing the idea of improving sections of the Pine Pass.Just recently, the Northern Development Initiative Trust and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure completed studies on the stretch of highway 97, between Quesnel and Dawson Creek.The studies focused on eight low clearance overhead railway crossings and the Salmon River and Parsnip bridges.- Advertisement -Several businesses in Northeast B.C. are forced to haul oversized loads of equipment through Alberta due to Highway 97’s height and width constraints.Bob Fedderly, of Fedderly Transportation in Fort St. John, says the propsed upgrades would benefit companies in the B.C. interior. Fedderly says those companies have been unable to competitively participate in the oil and gas industry in northeast B.C.[asset|aid=2204|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=896d169230e15b117a8b913fde779481-Bob Fedderly 1_1_Pub.mp3]Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More

Brussels loses Euro 2020 matches to Wembley

first_img0Shares0000Wembley Stadium in London will host seven matches in total for the Euro 2020 tournament, including the two semi-finals and the final on July 12, 2020 © AFP/File / ADRIAN DENNISNYON, Switzerland, Dec 7 – Wembley Stadium in London will host four Euro 2020 matches originally set to be staged in Brussels, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday.Brussels had been one of 13 venues picked to host this unique edition of the European Championship — to celebrate the tournament’s 60th anniversary — held across the continent rather than in a single host country. But the European football governing body’s executive committee decided “unanimously” to strip Brussels of its four matches due to the inability of Belgian organisers to guarantee the new stadium where they would have been held could be built in time.Wembley will now host seven matches in total, having already been allocated the two semi-finals and the final on July 12, 2020.UEFA also announced the opening game on June 12, 2020, would be held at Rome’s Stadio Olimpico.“Due to the Eurostadium project’s failure to meet the conditions imposed by the UEFA Executive Committee during its meeting of 20 September 2017, the four matches (three group, one round of 16) initially scheduled to be held in Brussels will now be allocated to London’s Wembley Stadium following a vote by the committee,” said Ceferin.“We discussed with Brussels for quite a long time, they were not able to provide us with all the documentation.“Until today we don’t know if they can build a stadium or not.“They still don’t have the documents. They had time until today’s executive committee (meeting) and they didn’t do it.“We received a letter yesterday that 31st of January there will be a final decision but the decision — yes or no — they don’t know.“Experts from administration had the opinion it was a high risk for UEFA if we wait.”The company contracted to build the stadium in the northern suburb of Grimbergen, BTP Ghelamco, said they were able to build the 60,000-capacity Eurostadium in 18 months, but the Flanders region in which it will be situated has yet to issue a building permit.– ‘Not the end’ –“Right up until the last moment we did the utmost to try to get an extra delay from UEFA, but we respect their decision,” said the Belgian federation in a statement.However they said UEFA’s decision “does not necessarily signify the end of the stadium project”.“We absolutely need a new 45,000-capacity stadium and we hope the competent ministers grant the permit in January so that a stadium fit for the 21st century can finally be built in our country,” said federation president Gerard Linard.Brussels has hoped to construct a new stadium ever since the Heysel stadium disaster, when 39 people died before the start of the 1985 European Cup final between Juventus and Liverpool.A refurbished Heysel, called the King Baudouin Stadium, staged matches at Euro 2000, which Belgium co-hosted with the Netherlands.A draw was also held on Thursday to decide which cities would host games from the various groups.Rome and Baku will host Group A, Saint Petersburg and Copenhagen Group B, Amsterdam and Bucharest Group C, London and Glasgow Group D, Bilbao and Dublin Group E, with Munich and Budapest the Group F venues.Host countries are guaranteed at least two home group stage matches if they qualify, meaning England and Scotland would be in the same group if they both reach the finals.Likewise world champions Germany would be paired with Hungary.UEFA also decided on the seedings and draw procedure for the new UEFA Nations League, which will replace most friendlies over the next couple of years but also offers a potential path to the European Championship.The draw will take place on January 24.UEFA said Russia and Ukraine would be kept apart in the group stage, as would Armenia and Azerbaijan.A conflict between the first two broke out in 2014 that resulted in Russia annexing Crimea from Ukraine, while the second two fought a war in the early 1990s that never resulted in a peace treaty.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More

Medical Matters: How to treat Acne?

first_imgContinuing his popular Medical Matters column, this week Dr Ciaran Roarty of Scally McDaid Roarty Medical Practice talks about acne. Acne is a common problem mainly associated with the teenage years though it can affect young babies and older adults. It causes black, red or white spots on the face, neck, back and chest. It more commonly affects boys and most teenagers develop it to some degree. Blocked skin pores (which usually have hair growing out of them and release oil)  become infected with bacteria and this is usually the underlying problem with acne. Sometimes other conditions e.g. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can also cause acne.Can anything make it worse?Covering acne with a lot of creams and makeup can exacerbate things as well as constantly touching your face with your hands (which can spread germs). Tight clothing, excessive sweating and certain medicines can also make things worse as well as picking or squeezing the spots. Poor hygiene does not cause acne and stress while not helping acne, is not a cause for it. Advice to people with acneWash twice a day with lukewarm water and an antiseptic wash. Do not use strong soaps and avoid abrasive cleansers with granules. Air dry your face. Your doctor can advise on various treatments which work really well for acne. Each individual is different however and your treatment may have to be tailored for you. They do take time to take effect. Your doctor may advise a topical gel or cream containing, for example, benzoyl peroxide. Other topical treatments that are prescribed are known as retinoids and your doctor will likely explain to you about any possible side effects and using sunblock. Topical antibiotics may be prescribed in combination with other treatments also. Antibiotic tablets work by killing germs that contribute to causing acne and are often prescribed along with a topical treatment. It takes time to work and it is important to tell your doctor if you intend becoming pregnant before commencing as some of the above treatments will not be advised. Certain contraceptive pills may help acne, while others can exacerbate it. Other more powerful tablets are also sometimes prescribed for more severe acne and they work by reducing the amount of oil made by your skin.  Any treatment takes up to 6 weeks for there to be any effect and may take up to 4 months to be most effective so you need to give it a chance to work. Ongoing topical treatments may be needed to keep spots at bay once the initial treatment has finished. Scars from acne can be treated by laser treatment, peeling treatments and collagen injections though these can be quite expensive. The above information is intended as advice only and should you have any concerns please contact your own Doctor. Dr Ciarán Roarty MB, BCh BAO MICGP DRCOG Grad. Cert. Obst. Ultrasound is a full-time  GP at Scally McDaid Roarty Medical Practice, Scally Place, Letterkenny,  Tel 0749164111scallys.ieMedical Matters: How to treat Acne? was last modified: April 5th, 2019 by Scally McDaid RoartyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

SA seeks water infrastructure funding

first_img14 March 2012 South Africa is seeking international funding for its multi-billion rand water infrastructure building plans, Deputy Water Affairs Minister Rejoice Mabudafhasi said at the World Water Forum (WWF) in Marseille, France on Tuesday.“We’ve got countries coming forward and offering us technology. They’re saying they’d like to partner with us,” Mabudafhasi said after opening a joint South Africa-Lesotho display at the WWF.Asked if South Africa was hoping to attract foreign capital for its plan to spend more than R60-billion on water infrastructure over the next three years, she said: “Yes, that is why we have this stand. We need funding for infrastructure.”Mabudafhasi declined to reveal any details, or to say whether a big deal was imminent. “We are still talking,” she told Sapa.The display-stand at the WWF includes a backdrop photograph of the giant Khatse Dam in Lesotho, the main reservoir for the Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP).One of the biggest projects in the worldThe project, one of the biggest of its kind in the world, supplies water from Lesotho to South Africa’s industrial heartland, Gauteng.Phase two of the project, which includes the building of a second big dam in Lesotho, as well as the boring of a 38km-long tunnel, is set to start supplying water in July 2020. It will cost an estimated R15.4-billion.Cutting a ribbon to officially open the display, Mabudafhasi described the LHWP as a “classic example” of how to manage water across a border.“Both countries benefit from the water that flows from the mountain kingdom of Lesotho. It’s a classical example of [trans-border] water management.”Lesotho benefited from the revenue it received, and from the jobs the project had created in that country; South Africa benefited from an assured supply of water for Gauteng.Posing for photographs with officials from the Lesotho Highlands Water Commission, the deputy minister assured them: “We won’t waste a drop.”Growing demand for waterShe also noted that urban migration and ageing infrastructure had put a strain on the delivery of water and the provision of sanitation in South Africa.Supplying rural areas and meeting the demands of the country’s growing economy were also contributing factors.Asked to comment on forecasts of a water crunch in South Africa about a decade from now, she said: “We’re very confident our water won’t get finished.”The exhibition hall where she was speaking had a water problem of its own around midday on Tuesday.While several of the country stands inside the hall displayed dozens of ingenious water and sanitation devices, a queue was forming outside the door of the venue’s single, three-toilet restroom.Sapalast_img read more

Read More

E-Book Checkouts From Libraries Up 200% Last Year

first_imgAs our reading habits become increasingly digital, many book-lovers are wondering how this will impact libraries’ ability to lend materials, particularly since many of the popular e-readers and e-booksellers have rather restrictive loan policies. And some publishers too have expressed their own concerns about e-book sharing, with one going so far as stating that if libraries start lending e-books, it could serve to “undo the entire market for e-book sales.” These questions and concerns over e-book lending are bringing attention to libraries’ services, a good thing I’d argue, as the role of libraries expands from “repository of printed books” to include other technological services (most importantly, perhaps, community access to Internet). So here’s some good news today for libraries, right on the heels of good news for publishers from holiday sales: digital distributor OverDrive reports today that e-book checkouts at libraries were up 200% in 2010 from the year before. Audiobook loans were also up, by 52%. Proof, perhaps, that you can lend e-books and not “undo the entire market for e-book sales.”The statistics come from the over 13,000 libraries, schools and retailers that use OverDrive’s digital distribution services. And according to these figures, more than one million new users signed on to access e-books and audiobooks via “virtual library branches”. Over 718 million titles were viewed in the company’s Web-based catalog and over 15 million digital titles were checked out.The most popular fiction title: Stieg Larsson’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The most popular nonfiction title: Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love. These were the most popular titles for audiobook downloads as well.OverDrive says that it makes over 400,000 copyrighted e-books, audiobooks, music, and video titles available to libraries, which patrons are able to download to their phone, PC, or e-readers. OverDrive is one of several options that libraries can pursue in order to make digital content available to their patrons. In November, we reviewed the Bluefire Reader app that uses Adobe Digital Editions in order to facilitate library checkout of e-books. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… audrey watters A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#E-Books#web center_img Related Posts Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Read More

Gold medal or bust for Hidilyn Diaz in Turkmenistan tilt

first_imgEthel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Diaz said she wouldn’t be pleased with herself if she can’t take the gold medal in the AIMAG in Turkmenistan, where other Filipino athletes are also competing, from September 17 to 27.Simply put, it’s championship or bust for the 26-year-old weightlifter.“I have to set my mind that the only acceptable thing for me to bring home is the gold medal,” said Diaz. “I must be determined because I can’t be contented with what I am right now.”ADVERTISEMENT Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Rio Olympians Kirstie Alora (left) and Hidilyn Diaz during a roundtable discussion at College of St. Benilde. Photo by Bong LozadaOlympian Hidilyn Diaz hasn’t competed in a major weightlifting tournament since her silver medal finish in the Rio Summer Games, and she heads to the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games knowing the pressure has built up.Most of the pressure, though, is coming from within.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo MOST READcenter_img LATEST STORIES Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul View comments Lyceum routs St. Benilde to stretch unbeaten run to 11 Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters “I’m not pressured by anyone except myself,” said Diaz in Filipino Thursday during a small luncheon with the media at College of St. Benilde, where she studies Business Management. “I always think to myself ‘do I still have it in me?’ because I was relaxed for four months.”Diaz became the poster girl of Philippine sports in 2016 when she ended the country’s 20-year medal drought winning the silver medal in the women’s -53 kilogram event.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingHer triumph in Rio was her moment in the sun but after reaching the peak doubts have started to creep in.“The comeback is the hardest part, after so many tears I don’t know if I can ever return to that form,” said Diaz who lifted a total of 200 kg. in Rio. “I think this is why other medalists or champions quit after winning because it’s hard to sustain the strength and the discipline after all the accolades.” Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his sidelast_img read more

Read More