Wolf Administration Welcomes 20 Students with Disabilities for Summer Internship Program SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Government That Works, Innovation, Press Release Harrisburg, PA – In support of the Employment First initiative to help people with disabilities find employment, the Wolf Administration is welcoming 20 Pennsylvania college students who will participate in summer internships with state agencies, while a first-of-its kind state partnership with Microsoft will promote accessibility best practices and tools.“Internships are an important way for students to gain experience in their field of study and establish relationships with potential employers,” said Governor Tom Wolf. “This program will provide valuable opportunities in public service to students with disabilities.”The students will take part in a 12-week paid internship in the Harrisburg area beginning this month. The interns will work in positions related to their academic backgrounds and career interests.Governor Wolf signed the executive order to establish the Employment First policy in March 2016 to increase competitive-integrated employment for people with disabilities and make Pennsylvania a model state when it comes to creating a climate hospitable to disabled workers.The internship program was developed by the Department of Labor and Industry’s (L&I) Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) and the Office of Administration (OA). OVR recruited college students for the inaugural class, while OA facilitated placement within state offices.“We want to thank the commonwealth’s leaders and supervisors for supporting the disability internship program and welcoming these students for the summer,” said Secretary of Administration Sharon Minnich. “We think it will be an enriching experience for everyone involved.”OVR provides vocational rehabilitation services to help persons with disabilities prepare for, obtain, or maintain employment. In 2017, the office helped place more than 9,300 OVR customers into employment, and connected with 6,000 Pennsylvania employers to achieve hiring results.“When it comes to providing employment opportunities to people with disabilities, we need to lead by example,” said L&I Secretary Jerry Oleksiak. “We are excited to work with the Office of Administration to offer this internship program for state government.”The administration also announced that Pennsylvania is the first state government to partner with Microsoft Corporation to provide training and other resources on accessibility to employees. The training will focus on tools available within Office 365 to make documents and other files accessible to people with disabilities, as well as features that can assist commonwealth employees who are themselves disabled. Employees will also have access to a help desk staffed by accessibility experts to answer questions and provide guidance. These services are being provided at no additional cost to the commonwealth.“We are incredibly excited about working with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to educate employees on how to be more inclusive and accessible using the built-in tools in Microsoft365,” said Megan Lawrence, Microsoft’s Accessibility Technical Evangelist. May 22, 2018
Previously, teams were allowed to field an Asian player in addition to three non-Asian foreigners, but that spot in the starting line-up will now be taken by a Chinese player under the age of 23. Clubs must also include a second Chinese player under 23 in their matchday squads.“In order to realise ‘The General Plan of Chinese Football Reform and Development’ and to benefit the overall development of Chinese football and Chinese local players, to enhance the quality of the national team and to keep the professional league on a healthy, stable and consistent track, the CFA has adjusted the regulations of the 2017 Chinese Super League and the China League,” the statement said.The new regulations were drawn up during a meeting of the CFA’s Professional Leagues Committee in Wuhan on Sunday before clubs were informed of the ruling. The current transfer window opened on Jan. 1 and many of the 16 Chinese Super League clubs have already signed their full quota of foreign players ahead of the league’s opening round on March 4.Tianjin Quanjian owner Shu Yuhui confirmed the cashed-up Chinese Super League outfit had plans to sign Diego Costa, Karim Benzema, Edinson Cavani and Radamel Falcao until China’s Football Association (CFA) made changes to the limit of foreigners.Having already lured Belgium international Axel Witsel to the CSL, Tianjin – coached by former Real Madrid and Juventus defender Fabio Cannavaro – had been linked with further moves for Chelsea’s Costa & Co.And Shu revealed Tianjin had been in talks with the Spain international, Real Madrid striker Benzema, Paris Saint-Germain’s Cavani and Monaco hitman Falcao before the CFA announced new rules regarding foreign players, with teams in the CSL forced to name only three of their imports in starting XIs from this season.“Our club had a massive investment plan for the new season but it was tightened up by the new rules,” Shu told Tianjin Sports Channel.“We need an out-and-out striker so we made a bid for Benzema. We also made an attempt for Falcao.“As a matter of fact, the club had even prepared the contracts for Falcao and [Benfica striker] Raul Jimenez. We had already reached agreement with them on wages and bonus. The pair were expected to sign the contracts, but the new rules forced us to give up on them.”Delving deeper into Tianjin’s transfer plans, Shu revealed meetings with Jorge Mendes, whose clients include Cristiano Ronaldo among others.“I made an appointment with Mendes and he came to my hometown to visit me. At that time, we were interested in signing Costa,” he added.“PSG told us Cavani would only be allowed to leave in June, even though the player himself was willing to join us. The same can be said for Costa because Chelsea would only let him leave in June. However, the new season of CSL will almost reach the halfway stage in June, we can’t wait so long.”While the arrivals of these players appear unlikely, Fiorentina star Nikola Kalinic is nearing a move to Haihe Educational Football Stadium in Tianjin.“We are currently discussing whether to hold onto [former Brazil international] Luis Fabiano,” Shu said. “But Cannavaro told us he preferred Kalinic, who would perfectly fit into the team’s style of play.”Tianjin are set to play in China’s top flight in 2017 after Cannavaro guided the club to promotion last season.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram WINTER TRANSFERChinese Super League clubs’ player recruitment plans for the coming season were thrown into disarray on Monday morning as the Chinese Football Association confirmed last week’s reports it would limit the number of foreign players permitted to play in the 2017 season.In a statement published on the federation’s website, the CFA announced clubs would be permitted to field a maximum of three foreign players per game, with that quota including players from within the area governed by the Asian Football Confederation.