0Shares0000Wembley Stadium in London will host seven matches in total for the Euro 2020 tournament, including the two semi-finals and the final on July 12, 2020 © AFP/File / ADRIAN DENNISNYON, Switzerland, Dec 7 – Wembley Stadium in London will host four Euro 2020 matches originally set to be staged in Brussels, UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said on Thursday.Brussels had been one of 13 venues picked to host this unique edition of the European Championship — to celebrate the tournament’s 60th anniversary — held across the continent rather than in a single host country. But the European football governing body’s executive committee decided “unanimously” to strip Brussels of its four matches due to the inability of Belgian organisers to guarantee the new stadium where they would have been held could be built in time.Wembley will now host seven matches in total, having already been allocated the two semi-finals and the final on July 12, 2020.UEFA also announced the opening game on June 12, 2020, would be held at Rome’s Stadio Olimpico.“Due to the Eurostadium project’s failure to meet the conditions imposed by the UEFA Executive Committee during its meeting of 20 September 2017, the four matches (three group, one round of 16) initially scheduled to be held in Brussels will now be allocated to London’s Wembley Stadium following a vote by the committee,” said Ceferin.“We discussed with Brussels for quite a long time, they were not able to provide us with all the documentation.“Until today we don’t know if they can build a stadium or not.“They still don’t have the documents. They had time until today’s executive committee (meeting) and they didn’t do it.“We received a letter yesterday that 31st of January there will be a final decision but the decision — yes or no — they don’t know.“Experts from administration had the opinion it was a high risk for UEFA if we wait.”The company contracted to build the stadium in the northern suburb of Grimbergen, BTP Ghelamco, said they were able to build the 60,000-capacity Eurostadium in 18 months, but the Flanders region in which it will be situated has yet to issue a building permit.– ‘Not the end’ –“Right up until the last moment we did the utmost to try to get an extra delay from UEFA, but we respect their decision,” said the Belgian federation in a statement.However they said UEFA’s decision “does not necessarily signify the end of the stadium project”.“We absolutely need a new 45,000-capacity stadium and we hope the competent ministers grant the permit in January so that a stadium fit for the 21st century can finally be built in our country,” said federation president Gerard Linard.Brussels has hoped to construct a new stadium ever since the Heysel stadium disaster, when 39 people died before the start of the 1985 European Cup final between Juventus and Liverpool.A refurbished Heysel, called the King Baudouin Stadium, staged matches at Euro 2000, which Belgium co-hosted with the Netherlands.A draw was also held on Thursday to decide which cities would host games from the various groups.Rome and Baku will host Group A, Saint Petersburg and Copenhagen Group B, Amsterdam and Bucharest Group C, London and Glasgow Group D, Bilbao and Dublin Group E, with Munich and Budapest the Group F venues.Host countries are guaranteed at least two home group stage matches if they qualify, meaning England and Scotland would be in the same group if they both reach the finals.Likewise world champions Germany would be paired with Hungary.UEFA also decided on the seedings and draw procedure for the new UEFA Nations League, which will replace most friendlies over the next couple of years but also offers a potential path to the European Championship.The draw will take place on January 24.UEFA said Russia and Ukraine would be kept apart in the group stage, as would Armenia and Azerbaijan.A conflict between the first two broke out in 2014 that resulted in Russia annexing Crimea from Ukraine, while the second two fought a war in the early 1990s that never resulted in a peace treaty.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
TORONTO – The physical and mental health of people living in Grassy Narrows is “significantly worse” than other First Nations since mercury was dumped into a river system near the northern Ontario reserve half a century ago, a new health survey suggests.The community commissioned the survey to examine the fallout of eating fish caught from nearby waterways contaminated by mercury. It found that there are fewer elders in the community, which the report suggests means that people are dying there prematurely.“The results provide clear evidence that the physical and mental health of (Grassy Narrows community) members is poorer than that of other First Nation communities in Canada and Ontario,” said the report. The health and well-being of the community “cannot be understood without taking into account their history of mercury poisoning and its consequences,” it said.It also found that 33 per cent of residents have lost a close friend or family member to suicide, which is five times the rate documented in other Ontario First Nations. Twenty eight per cent had attempted suicide — more than double the rate of other First Nations.“If any of you have ever had a family member or a close friend who has committed suicide, you know the anguish that it creates for each and every one of us,” said Donna Mergler, a mercury expert at Universite du Quebec a Montreal, who conducted the study.Residents over the age of 50 who reported eating more fish as children also had experienced poorer success in school and are two times more likely to have an annual income of less than $20,000, she said.More than 80 per cent of community members took part in the survey, which included a lengthy questionnaire administered to more than 300 adults in Grassy Narrows ranging in age from 18 to 80 between December 2016 and March 2017, Mergler said.Community officials said Mergler’s report is “the most comprehensive assessment of the health of the community to date” and included comparisons to First Nations regional health surveys done in 2008 and 2010.Grassy Narrows Chief Rudy Turtle called the results of the survey “a very dark picture.”“But at the same time, our people are doing the best they can to live under the conditions they’re living in,” Turtle said.Mercury contamination has plagued the English-Wabigoon River system since a paper mill in Dryden, Ont., dumped 9,000 kilograms of the substance into the river systems in the 1960s. The contamination closed a thriving commercial fishery that devastated Grassy Narrows’ economy.“Because of the discovery of mercury, things have come to a stop and, as a result, our people have suffered health-wise and also in terms of self-esteem,” Turtle said. “When a person doesn’t have a job, it leads to despair and many in our people have turned to alcohol.”The Ontario government has pledged to spend $85 million to remediate the river and the federal government has committed to funding a treatment centre that the community believes will cost about $4.5 million, but a feasibility study needs to be completed to determine the cost.Turtle said the Ontario and federal governments need to do more to help the community, calling on them to implement the study’s recommendations that include increased funding for physical and mental health programs, a long-term care facility on the reserve to address issues of mercury poisoning and programs for food security.The report also said people who reported being diagnosed by a medical professional with mercury poisoning were almost six times more likely to have a neuropsychological disorder, five times more likely to have stomach and intestinal problems, and three times more likely to have blindness or vision problems.“We need more (from the government) because it’s been a devastation of a whole way of life, a whole way of culture that we need to rebuild,” Judy Da Silva, the environmental health co-ordinator for Grassy Narrows.“I don’t want to appear the victim, because we’re not, we’re fighters. We are going to keep fighting, we’re going to keep doing what we have to do to bring justice to our people.”In a statement Thursday, Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said if her party forms government after the June 7 election, they will implement the recommendations of the report.“Grassy Narrows is one of the clearest examples of how governments of all stripes have failed to treat First Nations with the respect they deserve,” Horwath said.
UNICEF UK can today announce that Soccer Aid 2014, broadcast on ITV, has raised a final total of £6,525,072 for its vital work to save children’s lives around the world.Thanks to the generous response from ITV viewers, and the UK Government matching all public donations pound for pound, this figure has smashed all previous records set by the biennial event.Soccer Aid 2014 took place at a packed out Old Trafford on 8th June 2014 and was broadcast live on ITV. The match saw celebrities and football legends team up for a fifth time to play an enthralling game of football whilst raising crucial money for Unicef, the world’s leading children’s organisation.A crowd of nearly 70,000 turned out to see Robbie Williams lead the England team with Welsh movie star Michael Sheen returning to captain The Rest of the World. Star players including John Bishop, Dominic Cooper, Marvin Humes, James McAvoy, Olly Murs, Jeremey Renner, Adam Richman and Jack Whitehall took part in the electrifying match which saw the Rest Of The World defeat England 4-2.Throughout the match short films were broadcast presented by Unicef Ambassadors David Beckham and Cat Deeley and Unicef supporters Dame Judi Dench, Lewis Hamilton, Keeley Hawes and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley showing how Unicef helps protect children around the world from the dangers they face.Robbie Williams, Unicef UK Ambassador and co-founder of Soccer Aid said: “Soccer Aid was just a dream a few years ago and look at it now. Being able to walk out in front of a packed Old Trafford – with some of the world’s best footballers – whilst at the same time raising money for Unicef to help keep children safe is absolutely incredible. Thank you so so much to everyone who donated on the night or bought a ticket to the match – we couldn’t have done it without you.”Michael Sheen, Unicef UK Ambassador and Rest of the World captain added: “I can’t deny that it was a real privilege to captain the Rest Of The World to victory in such a hotly contested match, but arguably the best bit of all is knowing the difference that this game of football makes. Thanks to the public’s generous donations and the pound for pound UK Government Aid Match, this year’s Soccer Aid raised more money than ever for Unicef’s vital work to protect children around the world from the danger. On behalf of Unicef, I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who donated.”All the money raised through Soccer Aid will go to save and change children’s lives. Examples of how money will be spent include providing children with vaccines to protect them against killer diseases; with clean, safe water to drink; and with emergency supplies such as life-saving emergency food.Soccer Aid was produced by Initial, an Endemol Company for ITV and was broadcast live on Sunday 8th June on ITV. Tesco were the fundraising sponsor for Soccer Aid 2014.The five Soccer Aid events in 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014 have together raised over £18 million for Unicef’s work for children.Source:UNICEF UK
SUVs Luxury cars Future Cars Enlarge ImageTalk about getting off to a good start. Andrew Krok/Roadshow When a car is more efficient, less expensive and more powerful than its also-new competition, that sounds like a pretty good start. Lincoln should have plenty to celebrate this week, then, now that fuel economy numbers are out for the base-trim 2020 Aviator.According to newly published EPA figures, the 2020 Lincoln Aviator in base, rear-wheel drive trim is rated at 18 miles per gallon city, 26 mpg highway and 21 combined. It’s still more expensive than your average vehicle, which is why the EPA estimates that Aviator owners will spend $2,250 more in fuel costs over five years when compared to the average new car.That’s not bad, considering its engine is a 3.0-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 that puts out 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. Its starting price is $52,195, which includes destination, and adding AWD will tack another $2,500 on to the price, likely lowering fuel economy a bit in the process.Let’s compare that to the Aviator’s also-new competitor, the 2020 Cadillac XT6. It’s rated just a smidge lower than the Aviator at 18 mpg city, 25 highway and 20 combined. Yet, it’s a more expensive proposition at $53,690 including destination. Front-wheel drive is standard, as opposed to the Aviator’s standard RWD. Most surprising, though, is the huge output delta between these two — the XT6’s naturally-aspirated 3.6-liter V6 only musters 310 hp and 271 lb-ft. Yikes. The XT6 is also down a cog in its automatic transmission, packing 9 compared to the Aviator’s 10.The 2020 Cadillac XT6 goes on sale this summer, around the same time the Aviator does. It’ll be interesting to see how both perform, not only against each other, but against the greater midsize luxury SUV segment. 1:26 Lincoln Cadillac More From Roadshow Review • 2019 Lincoln Navigator: Bigger and better More about 2019 Lincoln Navigator 2020 Lincoln Aviator takes off at LA Auto Show 58 Photos 2020 Lincoln Aviator plug-in hybrid first drive: This changes everything Tags 2020 Lincoln Aviator first drive: Stylish SUV takes flight with smart tech Share your voice 1 2020 Cadillac XT6 first drive: Sometimes ‘more’ is more Comment The sky’s the limit in the 2020 Lincoln Aviator Now playing: Watch this: Lincoln Cadillac
.Police have sued hundreds of people in over a hundred ‘ghost cases’ across the country in connection with last month’s safe road protests.In most of the cases, the incidents were unspecified and the accused were unidentified, suggest the documents of the police stations sent to the headquarters.So far 43 cases were filed with several police stations in the capital, 37 in Sylhet region, 17 in Chattagram region, 11 in Mymensingh region, 2 in Barishal region and one each in Rajshahi and Rangpur regions, according to police headquarters’ documents.The 37 cases were filed with several police stations in Sylhet.No violence had been reported in the six police stations of the Sylhet Metropolitan City, but even so, several cases were filed with the city’s Dakkhin Surma, Shahparan and Kotwali police stations.Asked about the matter, Dakkhin Surma police station officer-in-charge Khairul Fazal told Prothom Alo that the cases were filed as movement of vehicles was barred there.The Shahparan police station OC Akhter Hossain came up with the same comment.Kotwali OC Mosharraf Hossain said a case was filed after a brickbat was thrown at a bus during the safe road movement.On 12 August, Habiganj town’s model police station sub-inspector Nazmul Islam filed a case with the police station against 70-80 unidentified people.The case statement says the unidentified people were ‘involved with acts of sabotage, attempiing to overthrow the government, and trying to damage government property on 30 July when hundreds of people were staging demonstrations for safe roads in Dhaka and other parts of the country.But, the local people said nothing had happened in Habiganj at the time.The police also filed more 10 cases against several people in the district.The police’s media wing assistant inspector general Sohel Rana said, “The cases were filed as something had happened there.”But, the leaders and activists of the political parties said the cases were filed clandestinely to harass the opposition.Officials at the police headquarters said two letters had been sent to police superintendents across the country since 8 August.In one letter, the police supers were asked to submit lists of the cases filed between 29 July and 6 August and lists of those who were punished for posting comments on social media platforms.Habiganj sadar model police station SI Abdur Rahim filed another case against more 50-60 unidentified people.SI Zahir filed another case against 100-112 unidentified people for sabotage under the Special Powers Act 1974.Asked about the 10 cases in Habiganj, police super Bidhan Tripura said, “The people don’t know about what happened during and after the safe road movement.”At least 12 cases were filed with several police stations in Moulvibazar town despite no violent activities there.On the other hand, at least one case was filed with each of 15 police stations in Chattagram district.A case was filed against 70-75 unidentified people with Mirsarai police station for allegedly vandalising a pick-up van on Dhaka-Chattagram highway.When asked about the matter, Mirsarai union parishad chairman Fazlul Kabir said he had no knowledge about any such incident. In Cumilla, none could bring out any procession in the city due to the vigilance of the current regime-backed student and youth organisations.Yet, the police filed a case with police Sadar Dakkhin Model police station under the Special Powers Act on 5 August.More than one councillor and some leaders of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and Jamaat and their activists were accused in the case.Cumilla City Corporation’s ward 20 councillor Siddiqur Rahman, also a BNP leader, was sued after his son was found involved in a leaked phone conversation with BNP leader Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury.About the ‘ghost cases’, human rights activist Nur Khan told Prothom Alo that this kind of case was filed to keep the opposition under pressure and implicate them whenever opportunity cropped up.(Staff Correspondents from Chattogram, Cumilla, Moulvibazar, Habiganj, Mirsharai and Sylhet Office contributed to file the report)