avery johnson alabamaFormer NBA point guard and head coach Avery Johnson was recently hired to take over the reins of the Alabama basketball program, which has reached just one NCAA Tournament in the past nine seasons. Johnson has a tall task ahead of him, but he has lofty goals for his new squad, saying during his introductory press conference his program will try and live up to the standard set by Duke, the 2014-15 national champions. “Duke University, that’s the standard for us here at the University of Alabama and our basketball program,” Johnson said. “The way they play defense and offense. The way they move the ball, that’s the standard. Nobody else is the standard. That’s the standard. Duke University. That’s why I’m here.”If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, it also makes for good publicity in this case. Judging by its Instagram post this morning, the Duke program is using Johnson’s quote to its marketing advantage.An obvious, but savvy move by Duke. We’re sure Johnson isn’t the only coach looking to get his program on the level of the Blue Devils but it’s easier said than done.
Story Highlights Minister of National Security, Hon. Dr. Horace Chang, says a total of 1,000 new police officers are expected to be trained this year. Opening the 2019/20 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 16, Dr. Chang said by next year, that figure should increase to 1,500 police officers. A professional review of the 19 territorial police divisions suggests that an additional 4,000 members are required to ensure adequate staffing. Minister of National Security, Hon. Dr. Horace Chang, says a total of 1,000 new police officers are expected to be trained this year.Opening the 2019/20 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on April 16, Dr. Chang said by next year, that figure should increase to 1,500 police officers.A professional review of the 19 territorial police divisions suggests that an additional 4,000 members are required to ensure adequate staffing.Dr. Chang noted that while these numbers are being expanded, the Commissioner of Police and his team will be reorganising and “re-missioning” the Inspectorate of Constabulary (IOC), which will be rebranded the Professional Standard Branch of the Police Force.He added that the Mobile Reserve will be restructured and placed in a position to be more effective while responding to the many hotspots across the island effectively.Meanwhile, Dr. Chang stated that the Counter-Terrorism and Organised Crime Investigation Branch (C-TOC), will have a special subgroup to deal with anti-gang, among other things.
CALGARY, A.B. – Gibson Energy Inc. says the sale of its trucking arm means it has completed all of the non-core asset sales it targeted a year ago as part of a strategy to focus on its Alberta oil storage and handling assets.The Calgary-based company, which helps send one in four barrels of crude exported from Western Canada through its Hardisty terminal in central Alberta, says it will pocket about $100 million from the sale, bringing its divestiture proceeds to about $325 million since early 2018.It says Trimac Transportation has agreed to pay about $70 million for the trucking assets and a Trimac affiliate is to pay $30 million for property in Edmonton containing a field office and shop, with the deals expected to close later this year. Gibson previously announced the sales of its environmental services and wholesale propane businesses for about $225 million.The company reported 2018 net income of $151 million on revenue of $6.8 billion, up from $44 million on $5.7 billion in 2017, as it invested $302 million to build new storage tanks in Edmonton and Hardisty and a pipeline in the U.S.It plans to spend $200 million to $250 million on capital projects this year.
Madhepura: Accusing the BJP of not fulfilling any of its big promises made during the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, opposition leader Sharad Yadav Tuesday described the ruling party’s manifesto for the upcoming election as another “shower of promises” and asked people to reject the party. Yadav, who is contesting the election on RJD ticket from Madhepura in Bihar, said in a statement that in his long political career he has never seen such an atmosphere as he had seen in 2014 and now. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “I appeal to people to reject the BJP. It does not know as to how to rule the country. It has rather created an atmosphere of hatred across the country and is badly damaging the economy,” he said. He said the BJP had made promises like bringing back black money, giving Rs 15 lakh to each citizen, employment to two crore youth and cleaning Ganga river, and alleged that none of them was fulfilled. “In the manifesto of 2019 no mention has been made of non-fulfilment of these promises and it has now made 75 more promises,” he said, describing it as a “ridiculous”.
New Delhi: A man hailing from Uttar Pradeshs’ Shamli district has been apprehended by the CISF at a Delhi Metro station here for allegedly masquerading as a CRPF jawan, a senior official said Sunday. Nadeem Khan, donning a khaki uniform of the CRPF, was intercepted at the Chandni Chowk station on Saturday as his activities were found to be suspicious. “Upon enquiry, the man did not give any satisfactory reply and was not having any force ID card or any proof of being a force member,” a Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) official said. Also Read – CM urges Delhiites to help accident victims The man claimed he was a trainee at the Central Reserve Police Force training force in Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir and that he on way to Shamli for his mother’s final rites, he said. A check with the CRPF centre in Srinagar and Shamli police found both his claims to be false. The man’s physical search led to the recovery of two Aadhaar cards with different dates of birth, father’s name and addresses and a mobile phone, he said. The man has been handed over to the Delhi Police to further probe the case and find out his motive, he said.
The Columbus Clippers secured their fifth come-from-behind win of the young season with a 5-4 victory against the Indianapolis Indians on Thursday, in the last game of an eight-game homestand to start the year. The Clippers (6-2) gained plenty of experience in tight contests during the homestand as close games and come-from-behind victories were present throughout. All eight games were decided by three runs or less and five of the eight were one-run games. Columbus manager Mike Sarbaugh said he is proud of the way his team has hung tough in tight situations early in the year. “We have confidence as a club in our ability to score runs,” he said. “We’ve showed early in the season we can come back, score some runs and win games.” Clippers shortstop Gregorio Petit said his team is made up of resilient competitors. “We just battle the whole game and never give up,” Petit said after the Clippers 4-3 walk-off win against Indianapolis Monday. “Fighters fight, and that’s how we are.” In the win Thursday, Columbus found itself trailing 4-2 entering the bottom of the fifth inning, taking a significant punch from Indianapolis in the top half of the inning. The Indians scored three runs on a 3-run home run by shortstop Jordy Mercer to take the lead. Using three consecutive hits to start the inning, the Clippers tied the game at four with an RBI single by center fielder Ezequiel Carrera. Third baseman Russ Canzler gave Columbus the lead with an RBI single of his own, the team’s sixth hit of the inning. “I thought that was the key in the game for us,” Sarbaugh said. “Coming out that next inning and scoring three was big.” Scoring the tying run in the fifth inning was Clippers right fielder Chad Huffman. Huffman went 2-for-3 in the game with two runs and a RBI on a home run hit into the deepest part of the ballpark in left-center field. “I got a change-up up in the zone and I was lucky I got the barrel on it,” Huffman said. Clippers starting pitcher Corey Kluber struck out eight in five innings allowing four runs on three hits. Kluber has a combined 18 strikeouts in his first two starts. Columbus begins an 11-game road trip Friday against Louisville, and the team’s confidence is riding high after the successful homestand. “There’s lots of confidence in this locker room,” Huffman said. “Our expectations are to go in there and win all 11 of them.”
Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale has admitted that he is open towards the prospect of playing in the Chinese Super League, amid speculation that he is set to move to another club in the summerSince arriving at Real, back in 2013, Bale has struggled to maintain his place in the starting 11 due to a set of recurring injury and fitness issues. The Welshman has found himself on the fringes under Zinedine Zidane this season and has struggled to find any consistency.Manchester United have been linked with Bale since last summer with Jose Mourinho having admitted that he is an admirer of the 28 year-old’s.A unnamed club in the Chinese Super League reportedly made a €130m bid for Bale last week and the winger, who is currently participating for Wales in the China Cup, has revealed that he finds the prospect of playing in China appealing.“It’s a great country with great people,” said Bale, according to Football365.Fati and Suarez shine against Valencia at Camp Nou Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 15, 2019 With a mesmerizing first half from Ansu Fati and a brace from Luis Suarez in the second half, Barcelona demolished Valencia at Camp Nou.Valencia…“In terms of the future I’m not too sure, I haven’t really looked that far to be honest.“Whenever I come to China we always have such an amazing reception from the Chinese fans. They’ve been very welcoming to all of us, not just me.“They look after us really well. But I’m sure that if I ever did come I’ll be looked after very well.”Bale recently became the record goalscorer for Wales after netting a hat-trick in their 6-0 win over China. Currently Ryan Giggs’ side are preparing to face Uruguay in the final of the China Cup.
Spain’s Diego Costa believes that their 6-1 victory over Argentina could have been a different story had Lionel Messi featured in the matchThe Atletico Madrid forward opened the scoring at the Estadio Wanda Metropolitano for Spain, before having to come off the field injured.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.But despite their convincing win, Costa felt that the absence of Messi had made a difference to the Argentina side and felt that it had ultimately compromised them.“You have to do an analysis in all aspects, you in Argentina criticize Messi a lot but you can tell that when Messi It is not something else, a player like Messi is not criticized, we have to thank God that he is in. Messi must always be treated well, even if he plays a bad game with the national team, having him in the field is different ” said Costa, according to Marca. The Brazilian native was ecstatic with the final result and is confident that Spain can potentially repeat their 2010 World Cup success this summer.“This team wants to do something big again, there is a good team for the World Cup, I had a bad time because I was not playing for six months but I knew that when I came back I could do it well and be in the selection makes me very excited. ” said the 29 year-old. Costa also reserved special praise for Isco: “Today we have seen, Isco would play on any team.” Argentina was very inferior to Spain: “We played a great match against a great team, Messi was missing”.
Chelsea have rejected a bid offer in excess of £50m from Barcelona for Brazilian international star Willian, according to Sky Sports.It appears that negotiation is still ongoing between the two clubs and the representatives of Willian Borges, who is on international duty with Brazil at the world cup in Russia.The former Shakhtar winger who is in Russia for the World Cup tournament has been linked with a move to either Manchester United or Barcelona, with the winger keen on leaving Stamford Bridge as long as Antonio Conte remains in charge of the club.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.The Brazilian has made 236 appearances for the London based club while also scoring 44 goals since he joined from Anzhi Makhachkala in 2013.Although Willian was snubbed for the starting line-up of the 1-0 FA Cup final win over United at Wembley but only coming on as an injury time substitute, he has scored 44 goals in 236 appearances for Chelsea since joining from Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala in 2013.
Guingamp side had rejoiced believing that they had a second goal before the break in their game with PSG, but Nicolas Benezet’s header canceled as a result of a VAR review for a foul in the buildup.Guingamp boss Antoine Kombouare did not waste time to show his dissatisfaction saying as quoted in ESPN:“There are two disappointments. The first is the first half where we can return to the locker room with 2-0,” Guingamp boss said.“Afterwards, it’s up to the referee and we saw that it was against us.“And the second disappointment is to have [conceded] the goal too early. That they scored very quickly [after half-time], it gave us a blow on the head.PSG ultras sent a warning letter to Neymar Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Brazilian superstar Neymar might play today his first game of the season for Paris Saint-Germain and the team’s ultras have warned him.“And after, what we can see is that we had given a lot in the first half, we left a lot of strength, and in the second half with their mastery, offensively it hurt us very much and they could do what it takes to score three goals.”Guingamp president Bertrand Desplat on his own showed his dissatisfaction at the VAR decision, saying:“Above all, I’ll say it wasn’t a great night for video refereeing,”“You can see there’s an enormous amount of progress to be made and French refereeing will have to get quickly up to speed, because you can’t ruin great evenings like this.”