Midfielder Modric said the team had been motivated by people saying they would be “tired” after their previous two matches went to penalty shootouts.“We showed again we were not tired,” he said. “We dominated the game physically, mentally, in all aspects.”Kieran Trippier gave England the lead in Moscow, but Ivan Perisic levelled for Croatia before Mario Mandzukic scored the winning goal in the 109th minute.“English journalists, pundits from television, they underestimated Croatia and that was a huge mistake,” Real Madrid’s Modric told ITV. “They should be more humble and respect more opponents.“All these words from them we take, we were reading and we were saying, ‘OK, today we will see who will be tired’.”England face Croatia in October and November in the new Uefa Nations League.Croatia, whose previous best World Cup performance was a third-place finish in 1998, face France in Moscow on Sunday.“It is the biggest success in Croatian history in sport and we have to be proud,” added Modric.World Cup final place ‘is everything’ to Croatia fansCroatia defender Dejan Lovren said Modric deserves to win the Ballon d’Or if they win Sunday’s final, describing his team-mate as the “best midfield player in the world”.The Liverpool centre-back also believes he should be considered one of the world’s best defenders.Lovren, 29, made 43 appearances for Liverpool last season as they finished fourth in the Premier League and reached the Champions League final.But he was criticised for some of his performances during the season, and received a death threat after October’s 4-1 defeat by Tottenham.“I think people should recognise that I am also one of the best defenders in the world and not just talk nonsense,” he told Bein Sports.‘We have become a football force’Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic and several other politicians wore the national team’s football shirt to a meeting of the government on Thursday.“This success speaks of the strength of a country that is not big, but has a huge heart, courage, enthusiasm and these young men who have gone a step further than the brilliant generation of 1998, ” he said. “In 20 years we have really become a football force.”Newspaper Vecernji List carried the headline “This is unbelievable, now only sky is the limit, we can be champions” and pondered how the players were able to find the energy reserves necessary to survive their third period of extra time of the tournament.“This is not a miracle, this is unbelievable! What our players have shown is beyond all parameters, above everything,” it said.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Luka ModricLONDON, United Kingdom, July 12 – Croatia were “underestimated” by English pundits who lacked respect, says captain Luka Modric.Zlatko Dalic’s side beat England 2-1 in extra time to reach the World Cup final for the first time in their history.
Cllr Marie Therese GallagherCounty councillor Marie-Therese Gallagher had slammed the Government for what she said is its continued bias against small medium and indigenous businesses in Donegal.It follows confirmation within Donegal County Council’s Budget Book that a huge reduction in rates has been made for big utility companies.Cllr Gallagher said “A reduction of €688,177 in rates has been applied to utility companies in Donegal. This decision was made by the national valuation office in Dublin. “This is a slap in the face for small medium and indigenous businesses across Donegal. It again shows the priorities of this Government – the typical looking after big business at the expense of local businesses and local services in Donegal.”“I can confidently say that not one of these companies who have received this reduction is struggling to keep the wolf from the door, in complete contrast to our local shops, pubs, hotels and manufacturers.”“My blood has been boiling since I learned of this development; it is typical of this unfair Government’s priorities.”“There is a window of opportunity at the minute to appeal this decision, I would appeal to all members of society to contact their local Government representative, to stop this measure. A countrywide campaign needs to take place, as these cuts to council services have an impact on all our communities.” REDUCTION IN RATES A SLAP IN THE FACE FOR SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS – COUNCILLOR was last modified: November 11th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Projected Nets starters: D’Angelo Russell, Joe Harris, Jared Dudley, Jarrett Allen, Joe Harris, Caris LavertHow the Nets are doing: While Brooklyn … The Warriors (10-2) will look to wipe away the sting of their humbling loss to Milwaukee when the Brooklyn Nets (6-6) pay a visit Saturday evening.If you missed any of those gory details, we’ve got all of them for you right here.Here’s everything you need to know about the Nets matchup…When/Where: Oracle Arena, 5:30 p.m. (NBCSBA)
22 July 2014South African motor racing prodigy Kelvin van der Linde was awarded the Driver of the Year award for the 2014 International Automobile Federation’s (FIA) Young Driver Excellence Academy at a graduation ceremony at the Paul Ricard circuit in France on Friday.The 18-year-old was presented with a trophy and certificate at the culmination of a seven-month programme that included five different workshops attended by 10 young racing drivers from eight countries. Van der Linde was the official representative of the African continent.The Young Driver Excellence Academy is an initiative of the FIA Institute for Motor Sport Safety and Sustainability.Intensive selection processVan der Linde earned his place at the 2014 Academy after an intensive selection process that involved events around the world at the end of 2013. Each FIA National Sporting Authority (NSA), including Motorsport South Africa, nominated a driver to attend the selection process. Five qualifiers were chosen and were joined by five wild card participants.The Academy offers a fully-funded training programme to help develop the participants’ motor sport careers, while increasing safety skills and promoting fairness and responsibility on and off the track.‘Expert tutelage’Drivers benefitted from the expert tutelage of former Formula One driver Alex Wurz of Austria and former World Rally Championship co-driver Robert Reid of England.As part of Van der Linde’s prize, Wurz and Reid will assist him in his career progression, ensuring he has the chance to meet key people and develop opportunities in the sport.‘A well-deserved winner’Wurz commented: “Selecting a winner is never easy. However Kelvin’s performance across the entire range of the Academy was outstanding and makes him a well- deserved winner.“It’s always at the end of the Academy during this last workshop that you realise you work with such promising talent and appreciate the friendships you have built with such extraordinary young people like this year’s Academy graduates.”Reid said: “Kelvin is a well-deserved winner of the Academy. He has performed well throughout, but also learnt a lot and improved on all levels.”ImpressedAccording to the Academy, Van der Linde, the 2012 South African VW Cup champion and 2013 European VW Scirocco R-Cup champion – he is the youngest to have won either of these titles – impressed not only with his speed on the circuit, but with his willingness and enthusiasm to engage with the Academy programme, which is aimed at developing and improving motor sport safety and sustainability and promotes excellence and achievement in all areas of motor sport.He also demonstrated a strong appreciation and understanding of key safety aspects of the Academy throughout the year.Van der Linde, who currently leads the ADAC GT Masters Championship for GT3 sports cars in Europe at the halfway stage in a Prosperia C. Abt Audi R8 with German co-driver Rene Rast, was thrilled to be named Academy Driver of the Year and said he is excited to continue implementing the lessons he has learnt.‘This is amazing’“I’m really speechless right now. To come to the Academy as the African representative where, despite being a large continent, racing is still growing and to win this is amazing,” he said.“I came here with an open mind, ready to learn, and gave it my best. It’s great to win and receive this trophy, but the real work starts now.”That work includes a return to the “real world” and catching up on his matric preliminary examinations at school. He missed the first three exams because of last week’s final Academy workshop in France and will be working hard to catch up this week.“While a motor sport career is what I have chosen for myself, I realise the value of completing my school education and intend to achieve as good a matric result as I can,” Van der Linde said.SAinfo reporter
The Madhya Pradesh police have solved all the three recent murders in the State in which the opposition BJP workers have some connection. These murders took place between January 17 and 23 in the Malwa region.In a major breakthrough in the murder of BJP Balwadi block president Manoj Thakre on January 20, the police have arrested seven persons. “Seven persons have been arrested in connection with the murder of Manoj Thakre. They include BJP State executive member Tarachand Rathor and his son,” Superintendent of Police Yangchen Dolkar Bhutia told reporters in Barwani district on Thursday. RSS worker heldIn another development, the Ratlam police on Thursday arrested a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh worker, Himmat Patidar, from Pratapgarh district in Rajasthan. He had faked his own murder on January 23 to claim insurance money totalling ₹20 lakh in order to repay debts.SP, Ratlam, Gaurav Tiwari said Patidar killed his farm labourer, Madan Malviya (32), to pass it off as his own murder. He later burnt the victim’s face to conceal his identity.In the case pertaining to the gunning down of Prahlad Bandhwar, senior BJP leader and chairman of Mandsaur municipality, on January 17, a BJP worker, Manish Bairagi, has been arrested.
The Columbus Clippers secured their fifth come-from-behind win of the young season with a 5-4 victory against the Indianapolis Indians on Thursday, in the last game of an eight-game homestand to start the year. The Clippers (6-2) gained plenty of experience in tight contests during the homestand as close games and come-from-behind victories were present throughout. All eight games were decided by three runs or less and five of the eight were one-run games. Columbus manager Mike Sarbaugh said he is proud of the way his team has hung tough in tight situations early in the year. “We have confidence as a club in our ability to score runs,” he said. “We’ve showed early in the season we can come back, score some runs and win games.” Clippers shortstop Gregorio Petit said his team is made up of resilient competitors. “We just battle the whole game and never give up,” Petit said after the Clippers 4-3 walk-off win against Indianapolis Monday. “Fighters fight, and that’s how we are.” In the win Thursday, Columbus found itself trailing 4-2 entering the bottom of the fifth inning, taking a significant punch from Indianapolis in the top half of the inning. The Indians scored three runs on a 3-run home run by shortstop Jordy Mercer to take the lead. Using three consecutive hits to start the inning, the Clippers tied the game at four with an RBI single by center fielder Ezequiel Carrera. Third baseman Russ Canzler gave Columbus the lead with an RBI single of his own, the team’s sixth hit of the inning. “I thought that was the key in the game for us,” Sarbaugh said. “Coming out that next inning and scoring three was big.” Scoring the tying run in the fifth inning was Clippers right fielder Chad Huffman. Huffman went 2-for-3 in the game with two runs and a RBI on a home run hit into the deepest part of the ballpark in left-center field. “I got a change-up up in the zone and I was lucky I got the barrel on it,” Huffman said. Clippers starting pitcher Corey Kluber struck out eight in five innings allowing four runs on three hits. Kluber has a combined 18 strikeouts in his first two starts. Columbus begins an 11-game road trip Friday against Louisville, and the team’s confidence is riding high after the successful homestand. “There’s lots of confidence in this locker room,” Huffman said. “Our expectations are to go in there and win all 11 of them.”
Chelsea have rejected a bid offer in excess of £50m from Barcelona for Brazilian international star Willian, according to Sky Sports.It appears that negotiation is still ongoing between the two clubs and the representatives of Willian Borges, who is on international duty with Brazil at the world cup in Russia.The former Shakhtar winger who is in Russia for the World Cup tournament has been linked with a move to either Manchester United or Barcelona, with the winger keen on leaving Stamford Bridge as long as Antonio Conte remains in charge of the club.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.The Brazilian has made 236 appearances for the London based club while also scoring 44 goals since he joined from Anzhi Makhachkala in 2013.Although Willian was snubbed for the starting line-up of the 1-0 FA Cup final win over United at Wembley but only coming on as an injury time substitute, he has scored 44 goals in 236 appearances for Chelsea since joining from Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala in 2013.
Guingamp side had rejoiced believing that they had a second goal before the break in their game with PSG, but Nicolas Benezet’s header canceled as a result of a VAR review for a foul in the buildup.Guingamp boss Antoine Kombouare did not waste time to show his dissatisfaction saying as quoted in ESPN:“There are two disappointments. The first is the first half where we can return to the locker room with 2-0,” Guingamp boss said.“Afterwards, it’s up to the referee and we saw that it was against us.“And the second disappointment is to have [conceded] the goal too early. That they scored very quickly [after half-time], it gave us a blow on the head.PSG ultras sent a warning letter to Neymar Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Brazilian superstar Neymar might play today his first game of the season for Paris Saint-Germain and the team’s ultras have warned him.“And after, what we can see is that we had given a lot in the first half, we left a lot of strength, and in the second half with their mastery, offensively it hurt us very much and they could do what it takes to score three goals.”Guingamp president Bertrand Desplat on his own showed his dissatisfaction at the VAR decision, saying:“Above all, I’ll say it wasn’t a great night for video refereeing,”“You can see there’s an enormous amount of progress to be made and French refereeing will have to get quickly up to speed, because you can’t ruin great evenings like this.”
Rangers defender Connor Goldson insists the team must improve their performances if they’re to defeat Hibernian.The former Brighton & Hove Albion says there can be no repeat of the team’s first-half display against St Johnstone if they’re to secure all three points on Boxing Day at the Ibrox Stadium.Steven Gerrard’s men struggled in the opening 45 minutes of the game against St. Johnstone and found themselves trailing before a brace from Alfredo Morelos turned the game on its head.It’s the second game between the two teams in the space of seven days following the goalless draw at Easter Road on Wednesday, and Goldson explained, according to the club’s official website: Rangers is still behind Celtic: John Hartson Manuel R. Medina – September 3, 2019 According to the former Celtic player, there’s still a massive gap between his ex-club and Rangers in the Scottish Premier League.“They are a good side, and we showed them respect going there by the way we set up and we had a game plan of playing on the counter attack.”“I think it worked really well but we missed quite a few chances which was a bit frustrating as we had a good chance of winning the game.”“But, at the same time, we know they are dangerous, they can hurt us and they have good players. We know we are going to have to be at it and we can’t put in a performance like the first half yesterday.”“But if we put in a performance like the second, we will have a good chance of getting the result we want.”
Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, May 15th 2017: DNA Leader, Branville McCartney is uncertain whether he will remain at the party’s helm. Following Wednesday’s poll, the Party leader took responsibility for the DNA’s performance at the 2017 General Election. He adds his future will be determined by the Party’s board. In his message titled ‘the way forward’, which comes post Wednesday’s election, McCartney says his party accepts the choice of Bahamians, and assures its supporters that the DNA will not fold.The party in acknowledging the loss at the second consecutive poll it has contested, says in the coming weeks and months “those who continue to support a two-party system”, and even its own supporters, will witness a re-engineering of the DNA, as it seeks to become the “real change which Bahamians demand and deserve”.McCartney thanked the hundreds of Bahamians who stood by the DNA with their unwavering support, describing them as “the glue that has kept the organisation together”. In continuing his direct message to his supporters, he thanked them for “believing in the dream of the DNA and for making the often-unpopular choice to be different”, as they “have affirmed his belief that a third party can and will have a place in our country’s political story”. He adds that the DNA may not have gotten it right this time, “but Bahamians can be certain that every action, every plan and every policy position taken by the Democratic National Alliance has been in pursuit of an ideal which he believes most Bahamians believe in”.The Party leader, took time to extend congrats to FNM leader, Dr.Hubert Minnis on his “resounding victory at the polls”. McCartney wished the newly elected Prime Minister and his new administration great success over the next five years, and called on them to live up to the “mandate given to them by the people of this country and truly create better lives for all Bahamians”.The election marks the party’s six year anniversary since its inception in November 2011.#MagneticMediaNews#BahamasGeneralElections2017#DNAGreenParty#BranvilleMcCartney