PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – The Haitian Conference of Religious (CHR) has announced plans for a “national silent march” across the country on Tuesday as it warned of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis” as opposition forces demand the resignation of President Jovenel Moise.In a statement, the CHR said that it has taken note of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis in which the country is in the process of tipping over” and the situation “is the result of a much deeper crisis affecting the very foundations of our coexistence in its political, economic, social and religious dimensions”.It has also been critical of the “total bankruptcy of our republican institutions – the executive, the legislature and the judiciary – and the responsibility of our political, intellectual and economic elites in the deterioration of the situation”.The religious group said, as a result, it was calling “on the conscience of everyone, especially the head of the executive power to take note of the seriousness of the hour and make a wise decision for Haiti accordingly.“Due to the insensitivity and indifference of different political actors to the future of the country, because of the general climate of insecurity, we find ourselves obliged to keep the doors of our institutions closed. Until a happy outcome of the crisis is found in the best time,” it said.The CHR said that at a time when Pope Francis invites “us in his prayer to be witnesses of the Gospel, courageous and ardent so that the mission entrusted to the Church, we decide to make two symbolic gestures but very significant“We are in solidarity with the victims of this crisis that has already lasted too long, by donating blood to the Haitian Red Cross, visit of hospitals for the delivery of the product of our collection of drugs and medical equipment.“In deep communion and in permanent solidarity with our suffering people, we will walk in silence from 9:00 am on Tuesday, October 22, 2019, in all major cities of the country to pray, celebrate our faith and implore Divine graces on our country and our people.“We will go from the church of Christ the King to go the sanctuary of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Bel-Air and finish with a Eucharistic celebration to be presided over by our Archbishop.“We invite the clergy of our ten dioceses and the faithful Catholics, members of all other religious denominations, all socio-professional sectors, all men and women of goodwill to join us in raising the cry of our pains,” the CHR said in its statement.Meanwhile, teachers are expected to stay away from classes on Monday as their unions urge them to participate “in a peaceful march…to demand the resignation of the Head of State and the reopening of schools”.The political and economic crisis in Haiti was triggered by the publication in January 2019 of a report on the Venezuela-funded PetroCaribe Oil initiative, under which Caracas provided oil and other petroleum products to Haiti under a preferential agreement.Moise, who came to power in 2017, has denied any wrongdoing and has named former prime minister Evans Paul to head a team that would hold discussions with all stakeholders to discuss a way forward.Moise has urged Haitians to “identify their real enemies’ and again warned that the system which deprives the country of developing is alive and well in the country.“The system has the capacity to regenerate each time. The people must be able to identify their real enemies,” he said last week, adding “this system that generates misery, poverty, exclusion, has come to an end and we must work together to prevent it from regenerating”.Last week, CARICOM said it was “deeply concerned” over the protracted political crisis in Haiti and that it is still awaiting a response from President Moise for a good offices Prime Ministerial delegation to visit.The decision to send a delegation comprising, CARICOM Chairman and St. Lucia Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness and the Bahamas Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis had been taken at the CARICOM Summit held in St. Lucia in July this year.
The club’s previous worst run had been 464 minutes, in 1985. For a team that prides itself on flair and flamboyance, it is a streak that reflects just as badly on Lopetegui as the results, which could leave Real Madrid four points adrift of Barcelona later on Saturday, with a ‘Clasico’ to come next weekend at the Camp Nou. Asked about his future, Lopetegui said: “It is the last thing I am thinking about. I am thinking only about lifting the players.” Marcelo said: “We are with the coach until the death.” If Barca’s players were watching, they would have been licking their lips at the sight of Raphael Varane handing Levante a two-goal lead here after just 13 minutes. Jose Luis Morales and Roger Marti, from the penalty spot, were the beneficiaries. At the final whistle, Lopetegui stood on the touchline, with his hands on his hips, staring ahead in disbelief. He had left Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema on the bench, perhaps due to fitness issues, and the gamble backfired, despite both making a difference when brought on in the second half. Lopetegui had cited a lack of luck in recent weeks and Madrid were not blessed with it here. They hit the crossbar twice and the post once. They suffered a two-goal swing as a result of the Video Assistant Referee, one against called as a penalty, and one ruled out for offside.“I’m sure football will eventually give back to us what it is taking away,” Lopetegui said.But a single goal, from their 30-year-old left-back, in over eight hours is no fluke, and neither are the defensive lapses that could have seen Levante add more to their early double.Paco Lopez took charge of Levante in March and oversaw eight wins from 11 to avoid relegation. This season they are now seventh, a point behind Madrid.“I told the guys talent has its limits, but faith and conviction do not,” Lopez said. “This team believes in what they are doing.” – Scatty Madrid –Gareth Bale has his head in his hands, summing up Real Madrid’s mood after another loss © AFP / GABRIEL BOUYSLevante were two up in 13 minutes and both came from Varane mistakes. The first was more blatant as he misjudged the flight of Sergio Postigo’s through ball, allowing Morales to nick it round Thibaut Courtois and fire into the open net. It got worse as Varane handled and VAR advised the error had been inside the box. Roger converted the penalty. For the rest of the half, Madrid were scatty and imprecise, their finishing spoiled by bad luck but a lack of composure too. VAR proved their undoing again, ruling Marco Asensio’s follow-up offside after Casemiro headed against the crossbar. Mariano was also denied by the woodwork while Ramos and Lucas Vazquez missed from three yards. At half-time, there were a scattering of white handkerchiefs — the traditional expression of discontent — but more whistles. After the restart, the home fans sang “echale huevos”, meaning, “play with some balls”. Lopetegui had thrown Bale on at the interval while Benzema and Dani Ceballos were introduced on the hour. Not before the 56th minute, when Madrid’s drought became their longest ever. Benzema shot straight at Oier Olazabal, who then pushed a bending Bale free-kick wide. Finally, Madrid scored, with that pair involved again as Bale flicked on to Benzema and Marcelo drove home.Madrid believed as Benzema struck the far post with a curling effort and Mariano thought he had grabbed an equaliser in the 87th minute. The striker, however, had strayed just offside. For Madrid, it was not to be.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Real Madrid coach Julen Lopetegui barking instructions, but to no avail as the Spanish league giants fall to a humiliating 2-1 home defeat to Levante. © AFP / GABRIEL BOUYSMadrid, Spain, Oct 20 – Real Madrid failed to ease the pressure on coach Julen Lopetegui and instead set the record for the longest goal-drought in the club’s history during a surprise 2-1 defeat by Levante on Saturday. Madrid have now gone five games without a victory and when Marcelo gave them hope of a comeback at the Santiago Bernabeu, they had gone 481 minutes of normal time without a goal too.
IRELAND goalie Shay Given has hit back at plans by Scottish fans to target Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy at Celtic Park on Friday night in the Euro 2016 qualifier.The Lifford native says he expects the atmosphere to have all the hostility and venom of an Old Firm derby.But he rounded on the hosts for trying to unsettle the Everton pair James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady. McCarthy was born in Glasgow, McGeady in Falkirk – and both with grandparents from Co Donegal.Former Scotland international Gordon McQueen even urged supporters to give the defectors “a horrible welcome”.However Shay said: “The comments were a bit unfair as some of the Scottish players were born in England but have Scottish parents and that.“It can’t be one rule for Ireland and one rule for others. They are in the exact same situation, so some of the comments were a bit personal and a wee bit over the top. I just think there is no need to go to that sort of level. They are the rules and every country is the same. I think it was unfair on James and Aiden to single them out. “We can’t tell fans what to do or what not to do. I mean, we’re going into the Scotland environment and the Scotland fans can do what they want. Aiden and James are experienced players now and they are fantastic players. Probably the reason we are talking about them is they are such great players. I don’t think they will be put off by any hostility.”Alan McLoughlin, the former Ireland player who was born in Manchester to Irish parents, says other teams try to use it because they are jealous of Ireland’s success.He told John Murray on RTE Radio One this morning that other countries can’t have it both ways.He recalled criticism from the English of his Irish team in 1994 when Ireland played in the World Cup in the USA.“They forgot that John Barnes was born in Jamaica,” he said. GIVEN HITS BACK AT SCOTS OVER McGEADY AND McCARTHY was last modified: November 12th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:IrelandScotlandShay Given