PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – The Haitian Conference of Religious (CHR) has announced plans for a “national silent march” across the country on Tuesday as it warned of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis” as opposition forces demand the resignation of President Jovenel Moise.In a statement, the CHR said that it has taken note of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis in which the country is in the process of tipping over” and the situation “is the result of a much deeper crisis affecting the very foundations of our coexistence in its political, economic, social and religious dimensions”.It has also been critical of the “total bankruptcy of our republican institutions – the executive, the legislature and the judiciary – and the responsibility of our political, intellectual and economic elites in the deterioration of the situation”.The religious group said, as a result, it was calling “on the conscience of everyone, especially the head of the executive power to take note of the seriousness of the hour and make a wise decision for Haiti accordingly.“Due to the insensitivity and indifference of different political actors to the future of the country, because of the general climate of insecurity, we find ourselves obliged to keep the doors of our institutions closed. Until a happy outcome of the crisis is found in the best time,” it said.The CHR said that at a time when Pope Francis invites “us in his prayer to be witnesses of the Gospel, courageous and ardent so that the mission entrusted to the Church, we decide to make two symbolic gestures but very significant“We are in solidarity with the victims of this crisis that has already lasted too long, by donating blood to the Haitian Red Cross, visit of hospitals for the delivery of the product of our collection of drugs and medical equipment.“In deep communion and in permanent solidarity with our suffering people, we will walk in silence from 9:00 am on Tuesday, October 22, 2019, in all major cities of the country to pray, celebrate our faith and implore Divine graces on our country and our people.“We will go from the church of Christ the King to go the sanctuary of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Bel-Air and finish with a Eucharistic celebration to be presided over by our Archbishop.“We invite the clergy of our ten dioceses and the faithful Catholics, members of all other religious denominations, all socio-professional sectors, all men and women of goodwill to join us in raising the cry of our pains,” the CHR said in its statement.Meanwhile, teachers are expected to stay away from classes on Monday as their unions urge them to participate “in a peaceful march…to demand the resignation of the Head of State and the reopening of schools”.The political and economic crisis in Haiti was triggered by the publication in January 2019 of a report on the Venezuela-funded PetroCaribe Oil initiative, under which Caracas provided oil and other petroleum products to Haiti under a preferential agreement.Moise, who came to power in 2017, has denied any wrongdoing and has named former prime minister Evans Paul to head a team that would hold discussions with all stakeholders to discuss a way forward.Moise has urged Haitians to “identify their real enemies’ and again warned that the system which deprives the country of developing is alive and well in the country.“The system has the capacity to regenerate each time. The people must be able to identify their real enemies,” he said last week, adding “this system that generates misery, poverty, exclusion, has come to an end and we must work together to prevent it from regenerating”.Last week, CARICOM said it was “deeply concerned” over the protracted political crisis in Haiti and that it is still awaiting a response from President Moise for a good offices Prime Ministerial delegation to visit.The decision to send a delegation comprising, CARICOM Chairman and St. Lucia Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness and the Bahamas Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis had been taken at the CARICOM Summit held in St. Lucia in July this year.
Share Related Articles Submit Share StumbleUpon William Hill accelerates transformation agenda to overcome COVID realities August 5, 2020 Better Collective cautious on quick recovery as COVID drags growth momentum August 25, 2020 SBC Magazine Issue 10: Kaizen Gaming rebrand and focus for William Hill CEO August 25, 2020 William Hill has reduced its ‘cashburn’ and further restructured terms on its debt bonds, as the company secures full financial flexibility navigating COVID-19 headwinds.Publishing both a Q1 trading update for the unaudited 17 weeks to 28 April 2020 as well as a COVID-19 update, William Hill revealed that retail closures, a drop in sports betting markets and international coronavirus lockdowns had hampered operations during the period.The operator divided its update into a pre-Coronavirus period (the period to 10 March), and the COVID-19 impacted period (period from 11 March – 28 April).Prior to international lockdowns, group total net revenue fell by 5%. US operations continued to drive growth, with a 26% increase in sportsbook amounts wagered, and a 30% increase in total net revenues.Sportsbook amount wagered fell by 6% for the group’s online division, with a 7% growth in UK online total net revenues.In the period from 11 March – 28 April, William Hill revealed a 57% slump in group-wide total net revenue driven by a combination of retail closures, a drop in sports betting markets and international coronavirus lockdowns.The operator also confirmed that it is targeting a H2 ‘phased reopening’ of its retail estate across the UK, and is ‘carefully monitoring developments across the US in the nine states where it is in operation.The drop in online sports wagers was ‘less than anticipated’ for the group, with customers ‘continuing to place bets on alternative products such as table tennis and emerging market football’.Total net revenue in the US took the largest hit, having fallen by 90% in the seven weeks to April 28, while retail like-for-like dropped by 85%.The operator currently offers online sports betting across four states, and confirmed that it ‘will be launching online casino in the second half of the year’.Ulrik Bengtsson, CEO, commented: “William Hill has overcome many challenges in its 86-year history, and I am exceptionally proud of the team and their response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We have worked hard to protect them, and in turn they have done the same for our customers.“We reacted quickly to the cancellation of sports activities and the closure of our retail estate. We took immediate measures to save costs, reduce cash outflow and minimise non-essential expenditure by negotiating with our suppliers, cancelling pay rises and executive bonuses and suspending the dividend.”William Hill also addressed previous guidance issued on COVID-19 contingency measures, revealing that each additional month of shop closures to impact core earnings by up to £15 million – which equates to approximately half of the initial estimate.The bookmaker further confirmed that it has waived its Revolving Credit Facility (RCF) covenants for 2020 – which will see William Hill defer payments on £200 million bond deferred to 2021/2022.Undertaking analysis of COVID-19 developments, William Hill stated that due to ‘limited visibility’ regarding the duration of ‘virus related restrictions’, the company would withdraw all future guidance.Instead, the betting group will focus its resources on the resumption of sports beginning with this weekend’s restart of the German Bundesliga and UK and French horseracing taking place in June.Bengtsson added: “We have preserved liquidity and amended the terms of our net debt covenant, leading to significant balance sheet headroom. This will enable us to continue to invest for growth, most notably in the US, as plans there to roll out sports betting continue apace.“Our ambition to build a digitally led, internationally diverse business of scale is proving beneficial during the disruption as our international online business has performed very strongly. We have accelerated product developments in the US in particular to ensure we are well positioned when sports activity reopens.“Our product development teams elsewhere have also excelled themselves during this period of remote working, deploying a range of important new products, most notably a gaming front end to improve navigation and speed for the UK market.“We remain focused on player safety employing ever more customer protection. We are taking care of our teams, securing as many employment opportunities as possible and we are ready to power up the business as soon as COVID-19 restrictions permit.“Our strategy for the Company remains a simple one – to win with our customers, build agile collaborative teams, and get things done – execution. We are developing products that we are proud of and that will improve William Hill’s competitiveness for the long term.”