WBO world welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao and Amir Khan say they have agreed to terms for a fight on April 23. The boxers’ promoters are yet to announce any details. Golden Boy Promotions, Khan’s promoter, didn’t reply to a request from The Associated Press on Sunday for confirmation. Pacquiao, who came out of retirement to win the WBO belt by beating Jesse Vargas in November, says on his Twitter account that he is fighting Khan because “this is what the fans wanted.” Pacquiao’s followers on Twitter recently voted for Khan to be the 38-year-old Filipino’s next opponent, ahead of Jeff Horn of Australia, Terence Crawford of the United States or Kell Brook of Britain. Khan hasn’t fought since stepping up to middleweight and getting knocked out by WBC champion Canelo Alvarez in May. He described the bout against Pacquiao as a “super fight.” Khan and Pacquiao used to be sparring partners under trainer Freddie Roach. Khan left Roach in 2012. April 23 is a Sunday, which suggests the fight could take place outside the United States or Britain. Pacquiao has previously said he would next fight in the United Arab Emirates.
The body of a man identified as Amos Boye, 45, was yesterday discovered by some residents of Joe Bar, a community in Paynesville Red-light in Monrovia.Officers of the Liberia National Police that arrived on the scene declined to make any comment to the Daily Observer about the cause of death.The deceased’s family members told the Daily Observer that the victim might have been beaten to death by some people they could not identify.Private security guards assigned at a local petroleum station adjacent the Zone 5 Police Depot told the Daily Observer that at about 5:30 a.m. they heard noises on the opposite side of the road but did not establish the cause of the noise.“We think the deceased was beaten in a different community and brought here,” one of the private security guards said although he admitted he did not know the cause of death.Onlookers, who knew the deceased, said that Boye was known to work for people in the community, and denied allegations that he might have been involved in any form of criminal activity.The victim’s father Jackson Boye said his son was not involved in any criminal activity but could not suggest what might have caused his son’s death.“My son was a very hard working man,” he said. Mr. Boye who appeared frustrated bowed his head in despair. There was a pool of blood where the victim’s head lay.Police are investigating Amos Boye’s death.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…declines by 23% for 2018; rice milling also shows declineGuyana’s manufacturing sector has had its share of ups and downs for the past year. This is according to the Private Sector Commission (PSC) 2018 annual report, which found that despite a marginal overall improvement, all is not well with manufacturing.Closed Enmore EstateAccording to the report, the manufacturing sector accounted for 3.3 per cent or $22.9 billion of Guyana’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2018. This is a reduction compared to the sector’s share of 3.5 per cent ($22.4 billion) the previous year, although an increase in dollar terms.“The manufacturing sector improved marginally during 2018. Growing by one per cent compared to the 4.2 per cent during the previous year … it is quite apparent that much of the sector’s growth was ascribed to an improvement in the light manufacturing sector, which grew by 5.2 per cent in 2018,” the report noted.It added that Guyana’s main manufacturing sub-sectors include rice milling and value-added production in the sugar industry and other light manufacturing. Not unsurprisingly, however, manufacturing in sugar has taken a significant hit.“Manufacturing in the sugar industry declined significantly in 2018 by 23.78 per cent,” the PSC report states, before adding that “rice milling during 2018 declined marginally by 0.5 per cent”.Closed Rose Hall EstateAmong some of the manufactured products in Guyana the report pegged were bottled rum, Malta, wine, shandy, Vitamalt and beer. When it comes to edible items, it referenced baking fat, margarine, ice cream and cereals, among others. In terms of industrial goods, the report identified livestock feed, detergent, paint, putty, acetylene and oxygen.Since the Government decided to downsize the sugar industry, it has been heavily criticised for that decision which has put thousands of sugar workers out of a job. Among the criticisms levelled at the Government has been the lack of a social impact assessment before the closures.In December 2017, some 181 workers from the Rose Hall Estate lost their jobs when the entity closed its doors. Most of those who were transferred to the Albion and Blairmont Estates were from the East Bank of Berbice.But the closure has also had an impact on local manufacturers like the Demerara Distillers Limited (DDL), which has already expressed concerns about developments regarding the state of the sugar industry, and the potential downsizing of sugar production.DDL has long had a relationship with the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) given its dependence on the sugar estates for molasses, one of its raw materials, and has been a significant source of cash flow to the sugar company for its operations.In 2017, it had said that its molasses requirement for 2018 was 70,000 tons. In contrast, GuySuCo had at the time set a sugar production target of 115,000 tons at the three estates earmarked to remain in operation, with molasses production being pegged at 52,000 tons.In light of this shortfall, DDL had said it was actively exploring its potential role in the future of the sugar industry, and had executed a high-level technical and economic feasibility study on innovative approaches to use the existing sugar assets to meet the current and future needs for molasses for an expanding distilling industry.Fast forward to 2019 and in March of this year, DDL Chairman Komal Samaroo had revealed that his company had to import 14,000 tonnes of molasses last year for its rum operations owing to the shortfall in sugar production.At one point in the running for the Enmore Estate, the company was forced to pull out after considering the costs to rehabilitate it. Continuing the woeful business news, DDL’s annual report had revealed that Demerara Rum Company would be liquidated in 2019.At present, Government is in the process of seeking private buyers for the Rose Hall, Enmore and Skeldon Estates. In fact, talks have progressed to the point where the Government is optimistic of a deal for the Rose Hall Estate by this month.
Bert Bowes Junior Secondary School is closed because of broken water lines.The school is asking parents to pick up their children and taken them home. Students are called parents at this time. School busses will continue to run at the regular time after school, for students who can’t be picked up.Mrs. Johnson’s Grade 10 Science class parents meeting scheduled for Wednesday night has been cancelled.- Advertisement -At this time the school is advising parents and students to listen tomorrow morning for updates about the school.
The Fort St. John RCMP Drug Section with the assistance of the Regional Traffic Sections, intercepted a significant quantity of cocaine, marijuana and pills.On August 6th at approximately 10am, the Fort St. John RCMP conducted a vehicle stop with three occupants who were suspected of transporting the drugs from the Lower Mainland. The vehicle was stopped on the Alaska Highway just south of the Kiskatinaw Bridge. A search of the vehicle revealed close to one pound of cocaine, over 2 pounds of marijuana and a number of pills believed to be ecstacy. The RCMP estimate the drugs had a street value of over $500,000.- Advertisement -A 20 year old female and two males, both age 20, are facing charges for possession of marijuana for the purpose of trafficking, possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking and the possession of ecstacy for the purpose of trafficking.Both males have been remanded in custody until they appear before a judge next week. The female has been released on bail conditions.If you would like to report drug activity, please contact the Fort St. John RCMP Detachment at 250-787-8140 or you can remain anonymous and call Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or go online to www.crimestoppersfsj.caAdvertisement
On August 3, 2018, at 09:30h, Gordon Yhap, 59, became the first Guyanese to complete the 3326 kilometre (2190.9 mile) Appalachian Trail.Gordon “Pepperpot” YhapThe Appalachian Trail (AT) is a hiking trail that begins at Springer Mountain in Georgia and extends to Mt Katahdin in Maine. The AT passes through 14 states, almost entirely in wilderness, running along the ridgeline of the Appalachian Mountains.The trail is very strenuous, gaining and losing over 150,000 metres in elevation and crossing hundreds of mountains, the highest of which is Clingman’s Dome (2026 metres) in Tennessee.Yhap and his wife, Carolyn, began the hike on February 14, and hiked through severe conditions including snow, hail, sleet, and thunderstorms.They camped almost every night, only coming off the trail and into a town about once a week to resupply, shower, and wash clothes. Although over 3000 people begin the AT hike each year, approximately only 10 per cent to 20 per cent complete it due to injuries and other issues.Yhap, whose trail name was “Pepperpot”, said that the hike was worth the effort, “…since we experienced incredible views from the mountains, observed many captivating forest animals and birds, and met interesting people from around the world”.Yhap and his wife also lost substantial weight during the hike, since long-distance hikers typically burn about 5500 calories per day.The couple have family on West Coast Demerara, including Yhap’s mother who was born in the Northwest region and now resides with her daughters and grandchildren in De Kendren.The Yhaps plan to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, which extends from Mexico to Canada, in 2019.
A former Duarte resident will be tried a third time for the 1999 slaying of a man who was strangled, beaten and thrown down a mountainside. The new trial date for Jose Jacobo is Feb. 20 in Pomona Superior Court. Jacobo, 38, had been convicted in 2000 of first-degree murder for killing Julio Perez of El Monte, but a judge overturned the decision after ruling one of the jurors in the case failed to disclose his prejudice against Latinos. A second trial ended last month in a hung jury. According to a spokeswoman for the District Attorney’s Office, 10 of the jurors found Jacobo guilty, and the remaining two voted not guilty. “They said there was not enough evidence,” said Jacobo’s attorney, deputy public defender Reema Khan. But Roy Delgado, one of two deputy district attorneys on the second trial, said the evidence is there to show Jacobo committed the murder. “Mr. Jacobo was last seen with \ at the bar. His vehicle had two splatters of blood from the victim,” Delgado said. He added that a cigarette butt found at the mountain location had Jacobo’s DNA on it. Perez, 39, was killed April 27, 1999. His body was discovered 150 feet below an embankment on Highway 39 near Crystal Lake. Perez was last seen with Jacobo at the Leon Del Mar bar in El Monte. But Khan said there is no motive for the killing, and that Jacobo did not know Perez. While the prosecution’s version had Jacobo pulling a gun on Perez at the bar, she said there is no evidence a gun was used in the case. After Jacobo was convicted in 2000, his former lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Michael Coghlan, tried to get a new trial. On Nov. 19, 2001, the 2nd District state Court of Appeal said the evidence supported the conviction. But a chance encounter with one of the jurors in Pomona led to the conviction being overturned. Coghlan said he ran into the man a year after the trial. The man recognized Coghlan and identified himself as one of the jurors in the Jacobo case. As Coghlan later testified in court, the former juror told him: “Do you want to know the truth? It was because he was a Mexican, and those people kill each other.” In 2005, Pomona Superior Court Judge George Genesta ordered a new trial and said that Jacobo was entitled to 12 impartial jurors – not 11. Jacobo is being held without bail at the Pitchess Detention Center while he awaits the start of his third trial. He’ll be back in court Feb. 16 for a readiness hearing. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2718160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
U.S. Forest Service Chief Forester Gail Kimbell told a news conference there were two “causal factors” involving the tragedy. “There was a loss of situational awareness concerning the dangers associated with potential fire behavior … while in a complex urban wildland situation,” Kimbell said. Decisions by command officers and supervisors to try to protect buildings also was a causal factor, Kimbell said. “They underestimated, accepted or misjudged the risk to firefighter safety,” Kimbell said. The individuals who made those decisions were not identified, and the officials at the news conference refused to answer questions about the contents of the report or to elaborate on the findings. They only answered questions about the procedure of the investigation and follow-up. Gary Helmer, the U.S. Forest Service’s safety and occupational health manager, said the inspector general for the U.S. Department of Agriculture has also begun an investigation. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! YUCAIPA, Calif. – Risky decisions to protect structures from a raging arson wildfire last fall, failure to fully scout escape routes and social pressure to work in a hazardous situation apparently led to the deaths of five U.S. Forest Service firefighters who were overrun, an investigative report released Tuesday found. “The human elements are critical factors in the evaluation of this investigation,” said the report on the Esperanza Fire. “A risky decision or a series of risky decisions appear to have contributed to this dangerous situation from which there was no room for error.” Families of the fallen firefighters were shown the report before its release, said U.S. Forest Service spokesman Matt Mathes. The investigation was conducted by the federal agency and the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, the agency that was in command of the firefighting effort. The Esperanza Fire was ignited Oct. 26, 2006, and was spread by fierce Santa Ana winds. The five firefighters and their engine were overrun by flames as they tried to protect a house in a mountain community about 90 miles east of Los Angeles. The blaze eventually charred more than 60 square miles and destroyed 34 homes and 20 outbuildings.
Chelsea and West Brom have been charged by the Football Association for failing to control their players during Wednesday’s fractious Premier League draw at Stamford Bridge.The flashpoint in question came after of an off-the-ball trip by West Brom’s Claudio Yacob, who had already been booked, on Chelsea striker Diego Costa.The Baggies midfielder avoided a second yellow card and a dismissal before being promptly substituted by boss Tony Pulis in the 2-2 draw.“Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion have both been charged for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion,” a FA statement read.“The charge relates to an incident which occurred in or around the 58th minute of their fixture on Wednesday, January 13, 2016.“Both clubs have until 6pm on 20 January 2016 to respond to the charge.”Chelsea interim boss Guus Hiddink referred to the incident on Friday.Hiddink felt Yacob should have been dismissed and was so frustrated with the performance of referee Anthony Taylor that he expressed his concerns to fourth official Jon Moss. He was taken aback by the reply.“I told him: ‘This is one of the worst referees of the Premier League I have experienced,’” said Hiddink, who had a prior caretaker spell at Chelsea in 2009.“He said to me ‘you haven’t seen me yet’, which was a beautiful remark I think.” West Brom and Chelsea players 1
Gardai are investigating an incident in which a couple called to a family’s home claiming to be from Donegal County Council demanding €1,400 in rent arrears.Coupe demanded €1,400 in rent arrears from council homeowner.The incident, which happened last Friday night, in a rural part of the Letterkenny Electoral area.The couple demanded that the cash be handed over immediately but no money was handed over. The bogus callers callers then left empty-handed.Last week’s incident is the latest in a series of such bogus attempts to get cash from the public.Last month a bogus couple also called to a business premises in Lifford last month demanding rates payments.The couple had a Donegal County Council-headed letter on it but no official identification. No money was handed over on that occasion either and it is not known if the incidents are connected.A spokesman for the council said “As it turned out the person was not in rent arrears at al and no money was handed over.“We would just like to tell people that it will rarely happen that our staff will call to private homes.“If they have to then they will have official identification and will arrange to call in advance.”“We are asking all householders and business owners to be vigilant of this type of activity.” COMMUNITY ALERT: BOGUS COUPLE DEMAND €1,400 IN RENT ARREARS SCAM was last modified: December 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)