LATEST STORIES LIVE: Sinulog 2020 Grand Parade CONTRIBUTED PHOTOAfter a crushing defeat to Petron in the Philippine Super Liga All-Filipino Conference, all F2 Logistics can do is and move on.The Cargo Movers were swept by the Blaze Spikers in the finals with a 26-24, 24-26, 24-26, 25-23, 15-11 win sealing the title Thursday night.ADVERTISEMENT Missile-capable frigate BRP Jose Rizal inches closer to entering PH Navy’s fleet Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Maizo-Pontillas ‘pressured’ after winning MVP plum Malacañang open to creating Taal Commission “We were in a situation where we were down three points in the fifth set, but Petron was just more aggressive. And if we were in Petron’s situation, we would’ve done the same thing and finish it quick.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend MOST READ 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Duterte’s ‘soft heart’ could save ABS-CBN, says election lawyer “That’s it, we can’t do anything but accept what just happened,” said F2’s middle blocker Aby Maraño after the tough loss.READ: Petron claims PSL All-Filipino Conference title, sweeps F2 FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’In a game that saw three extended sets and several lead changes, the match ended on a net fault from F2 Logistics.“When that kind of situation happens, there are so many things that enter your mind,” said Maraño who had 14 points in the loss. “’Is it over? Are we still going to fight it?’” IT happens: Facebook sorry for Xi Jinping’s name mistranslation View comments
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Teen gunned down in Masbate The 24-year-old is still as potent as ever and is still a reliable point-getter when the going gets tough for the Filipinos.3. Everything Jaja doesCONTRIBUTED PHOTOWhile Valdez leads the team in scoring in the Asian tournament, Jaja Santiago provides the glorious highlights.Santiago has evolved from a towering middle blocker to a versatile hitter that can play from the three spots in front of the net.Santiago can still make those quick kills from the middle and she’s added a deadly running spike that, so far, has been a beauty.4. Kimmy’s sneaky attacksPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netKim Fajardo is arguably the best setter among her peers as she steered De La Salle to three UAAP titles during her stay.The wily playmaker, though, is not only renowned for her assists but also for her scoring prowess.She won’t put up gaudy scoring numbers like Valdez or Santiago but when called upon Fajardo is willing to do the dirty work.5. Jove’s veteran smarts 2 nabbed in Bicol drug stings LATEST STORIES OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson And without further ado, here is the list.1. Mika’s leadershipFEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’CONTRIBUTED PHOTOMika Reyes’ appointment as the team’s skipper didn’t quite sit well with the fanbase of Philippine volleyball since the picturesque middle blocker hasn’t been a captain in recent memory.But so far, she has shown that she has the qualities of being a great leader. Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ CONTRIBUTED PHOTOThe 2017 Southeast Asian Games just got going and what better way to pump yourself up for the regional sports showcase than read about a list of seven things to watch out for in Kuala Lumpur.And this is not about the tourist attractions in the Malaysian capital. This is about the seven best things about the women’s volleyball team of the Philippines.ADVERTISEMENT Reyes was a visible figure in the Philippines’ campaign in the AVC Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship, communicating with teammates every chance she gets.The captain has shown control and calm while dealing with her teammates, and she seems to have shrugged off any outside negativity regarding her appointment.2. Alyssa doing Alyssa thingsCONTRIBUTED PHOTOAnother point of controversy was Alyssa Valdez’ inclusion to the national team but just like Reyes, Valdez has shown why she deserves to be in the position she’s in.Valdez was the team’s best scorer in the AVC tournament averaging 14 points a game, and that’s enough to prove why she was chosen as the country’s outside hitter for the SEA Games.ADVERTISEMENT NBA investigating Lakers amid George tampering allegation AVC Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship. CONTRIBUTED PHOTOIf there’s one constant in Philippine volleyball, it has to be Jovelyn Gonzaga donning the Philippine tricolor.Gonzaga is just 25-years-old—for comparison Valdez is 24—but has represented the Philippines in every conceivable volleyball tournament since 2015.She’s captained the team that participated in the 2015 Southeast Asian Games, played in the FIVB Women’s Club World Championship, AVC Asian Women’s Club Championship, and just everything in between.Gonzaga is Philippine volleyball personified.6. Kianna breaking throughCONTRIBUTED PHOTOKim Kianna Dy was initially named as a reserve player of the national team but when Rachel Anne Daquis announced that she would be leaving the team months before the SEA Games the La Sallian was thrust into the main team.And in her first game as a national player, didn’t go the way she had imagined it.She was a nervous wreck when she came in as a substitute in the AVC tournament, but her shot at redemption came just two days after.After her disappointing showing against Hong Kong, Dy showed class as part of the first six that faced Kazakhstan.Dy showed flashes 0f brilliance as one of the better opposite hitters of the country and proved to head coach Francis Vicente that she deserves to be in the main team. Vilma Santos, Luis Manzano warn public of fake account posing as her 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano MOST READ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:11SEA GAMES 2019: PH’s Nesthy Petecio boxing featherweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)08:07Athletes treated to a spectacle as SEA Games 2019 officially ends06:27SEA Games 2019: No surprises as Gilas Pilipinas cruises to basketball gold05:02SEA Games 2019: Philippines clinches historic gold in women’s basketball05:21Drama in karate: Tsukii ‘very sad’ over coach’s bullying, cold shoulder03:24PH’s James Palicte boxing light welterweight final (HIGHLIGHTS) 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano National Historical team rescues Amorsolos, artifacts from Taal 7. The little ones, Denden and DawnPhoto from asianvolleyball.netDenden Lazaro and Dawn Macandili definitely breathe defense.Both Lazaro and Macandili have been prime examples of what a Philippine libero should be.The two defensive aces practically own the ground game and clean up whatever mess their taller teammates couldn’t get to.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Albay to send off disaster response team to Batangas View comments
…four other oil companies also suedThe New York City Government is suing the world’s five largest publicly traded oil companies, seeking to hold them responsible for present and future damage to the city from climate change.The suit, filed Tuesday against ExxonMobil, BP, Chevron, Conoco-Phillips and Royal Dutch Shell, claims the companies together produced 11 per cent of all of the global-warming gases through the oil and gas products they have sold over the years.It also charges that the companies and the industry they are part of have known for some time about the consequences, but sought to obscure them.“In this litigation, the City seeks to shift the costs of protecting the City from climate change impacts back onto the companies that have done nearly all they could to create this existential threat,” reads the lawsuit, brought by New York Corporation counsel Zachary Carter and filed in US District Court for the Southern District of New York.The legal strategy has already been embraced by several California cities and counties, but prior lawsuits seeking to blame companies for their role in causing climate change have foundered.It remains unclear whether a new wave of litigation — propelled by stronger climate science, reports about how much some companies knew about climate change decades ago, and somewhat divergent legal strategies — would succeed where those efforts have failed.Exxon responded to New York’s lawsuit on its blog, where the firm has also challenged investigative reports from InsideClimate News and the Los Angeles Times that showed the company was an early pioneer in climate-change science in the 1980s, reports that were cited in the suit.“ExxonMobil welcomes any well-meaning and good faith attempt to address the risks of climate change,” wrote Suzanne McCarron, Exxon’s vice president of public and government affairs. “Reducing greenhouse gas emissions is a global issue, and requires global participation and actions. Lawsuits of this kind — filed by trial attorneys against an industry that provides products we all rely upon to power the economy and enable our domestic life — simply do not do that.”Chevron spokesman Braden Reddall said in an email: “This lawsuit is factually and legally meritless, and will do nothing to address the serious issue of climate change. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions is a global issue that requires global engagement. Should this litigation proceed, it will only serve special interests at the expense of broader policy, regulatory and economic priorities.”New York charges in the lawsuit that it is “spending billions of dollars” to protect its coastlines, its infrastructure and its citizens from climate warming.The suit does not specify precisely how much money it is asking for from the oil companies in what it calls “compensatory damages,” saying that should be established in the case.At a news conference on Wednesday afternoon, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio focused on the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012, calling it “a tragedy wrought by the actions of the fossil fuel companies.” He detailed the 44 people who died in New York as a result of Sandy, as well as the estimated $19 billion in damage it caused.“That is the face of climate change,” de Blasio said. “That is what it means in human and real terms.”De Blasio claimed fossil fuel companies were complicit in worsening climate change, because they knew of the problem decades ago, but continued to sell to Americans a product that contributed to only more greenhouse gas emissions. (Excerpted from Washington Post)
A 50-year-old man was on Monday morning found dead in the yard of a house of which he had been caretaker. There were blood stains about his mouth and nostrils.The property where the caretaker’s body was found in the yardDead is Lancelot Gransoult of Lot 22 Costello Housing Scheme, Georgetown.Reports are that the Police received a call informing them that the man was lying on the ground with signs of blood on and around his body. Upon arrival at the scene, Police cordoned off the area and the man’s body was examined.At time of its discovery, the man’s body was lying in the yard of the two-storey building clad in a pair of long blue pants and was shirtless.The Police have since said that a bucket containing what appears to be blood was found next to the man’s body, and blood stains were seen in the area of his mouth and nose. However, no marks of violence were seen on the body.When Guyana Times arrived at the scene, neighbours explained that Gransoult had been an easygoing person, but he had not often been seen around the community. According to neighbours the man’s body was discovered by a woman who operates an internet café nearby. He would usually open her place of business in the morning, and when he did not show up, she decided to check for him at his house.After making the horrific discovery, the Police were immediately summoned.“He used to live and take care of the house; it was him alone… The internet girl see that he didn’t coming, so she come round to see what happen, and that’s when she find he,” one neighbour told the publication.Moments after receiving the news, relatives of the dead man showed up to collect his belongings.Gransoult’s body has been taken to the Lyken Funeral Parlour to await a post mortem examination. The Police are continuing their investigations.
Registration for the upcoming Fort St. John Soccer Club indoor season has started. The under four division is full with a wait list, however there are spots available in the other divisions.There’s six age divisions to choose from: under six, under eight, under ten, under 12, under 14, and under 16/18.All registration is done online. For information on registration click here.- Advertisement -Also of note, the club’s AGM is scheduled for September 23 at 6:30 p.m. at the Kids Arena Fieldhouse.
The Peace River North School District has received an as yet undisclosed amount of provincial funding for a pilot program aimed at supporting immigrant families in Fort St. John. Called “Settlement Workers In Schools,” the program is a partnership between the local school district and the Ministries of Advanced Education and the Attorney-General. SWIS has been in existence for two years in the lower mainland, and this area has been identified for a new wave of funding support based in part on Canadian immigration statistics of the past five years. Part of the SWIS role will be helping families and the school system with cross-cultural understanding.- Advertisement –
The estimated cost of the improvements is $135 million. But, the Northern Development Chair Evan Saugstad (and Mayor of Chetwynd) says that money could easily be recovered.He says the investment would help businesses claw back work in the B.C. oil and gas and forest industries, currently being done by Alberta firms.[asset|aid=2206|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=896d169230e15b117a8b913fde779481-Evan Saugstad 1_2_Pub.mp3]The report is now in Minister Shirley Bond’s hands. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will review the proposal, and determine whether to go ahead with the upgrades.For a copy of the Northern Development Initiative Trust Economic Assesment, click on the attachment below.Advertisement Other loads that have been rerouted through Alberta include compressor station components, combines, manufactured homes, large dozers, drilling tanks, bridge components, and coal and ore trucks used in the mining industry.Greg Hammond is the President of Greensmart Homes, which has offices in Dawson Creek and Fort St. John. He says if the existing low clearance overpasses are upgraded as recommended, his company would be able to bid competitively on large pre-manufactured structural building projects in the interior and northwest B.C.Hammond says currently, the majority of Greensmart’s opportunities for large projects are located in northeast B.C. and Alberta.[asset|aid=2205|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=896d169230e15b117a8b913fde779481-Greg Hammond 1_1_Pub.mp3]Advertisement Local businesses are backing the idea of improving sections of the Pine Pass.Just recently, the Northern Development Initiative Trust and the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure completed studies on the stretch of highway 97, between Quesnel and Dawson Creek.The studies focused on eight low clearance overhead railway crossings and the Salmon River and Parsnip bridges.- Advertisement -Several businesses in Northeast B.C. are forced to haul oversized loads of equipment through Alberta due to Highway 97’s height and width constraints.Bob Fedderly, of Fedderly Transportation in Fort St. John, says the propsed upgrades would benefit companies in the B.C. interior. Fedderly says those companies have been unable to competitively participate in the oil and gas industry in northeast B.C.[asset|aid=2204|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=896d169230e15b117a8b913fde779481-Bob Fedderly 1_1_Pub.mp3]Advertisement
Photo – Ryan Dumaresq negotiates the Cactus Circuit on Wednesday night. Submitted photo. Richard Howes won the Wednesday night mountain bike race and broke the course record. He set a time of 22:18 minutes for the ‘long lap’. Josh Martyn was second at 22:30 and Pat Ferris third at 24:24. Ryan Dumaresq was 4th at 24:43 and Kevin Shaw 5th at 26:56.Adam Currie was 6th at 31:54, Ken lane 32:42 and Kelsey Young 40:16.- Advertisement -Thanks to Cassie for timing!Coming up:Thursday is the final Baldonnel time trial of the year, at 7 pm.Sunday is another Cactus Mountain bike race at 11:am.Advertisement
Peace Island Park will be home to another edition of the World Invitational Gold Panning Championships this weekend. The weekend will start with a parade leaving the Taylor Arena at 6:30 p.m. Friday night.The next day will have a pancake breakfast at 8 a.m., followed by a media, celebrity, and sponsor panning at noon.There will be fun for the young ones in attendance as a “candy rush” will be held at 3 p.m. The class B and C competitions will also be happening throughout the day. A steak dinner, bannock baking, and a movie night will conclude the day.- Advertisement -Another pancake breakfast at 8 a.m. will begin Sunday’s events. The class A gold panning will begin at noon on Sunday.
Hellas Verona are on the verge of completing their move for Aston Villa defender Antonio Luna.talkSPORT revealed to you earlier this month that the Serie A side had offered the Spanish full-back an exit route from Villa Park.They have ramped up their interest in recent weeks and are poised to finalise a deal with Aston Villa.Luna, 23, moved to Villa from Sevilla last summer and initially featured regularly under Paul Lambert, although he was barely used at all in the second half of last season, managing only one league outing after New Year’s Day. Antonio Luna in action for Aston Villa 1