Lynbrook Contractor Charged With Ripping Off Sandy Victims

Home   /   Lynbrook Contractor Charged With Ripping Off Sandy Victims

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Rodrigo LeitonAn unlicensed home improvement contractor from Lynbrook has been accused of stealing thousands of dollars from three Nassau County homeowners who hired him to repair damage to their homes caused by Sandy.Rodrigo Leiton, whose license to operate R & A Home Improvements was suspended, was arrested Tuesday and charged grand larceny, scheme to and operating a home improvement business without a license.Prosecutors said a Franklin Square homeowner paid the 51-year-old $4,000 to fix a Sandy-damaged roof Nov. 3, 2012, but Leiton only laid a tarp on the roof and did no other work.Then last summer, Leiton was paid $2,500 for repairs to a Merrick home, $975 for work on a house in East Rockaway and $1,875 to fix a residence in Valley Stream—but he allegedly never completed any of the work, authorities said.All of the homes except for the one in Merrick had been damaged in the October 2012 superstorm.The Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs had suspended Leiton’s license in April 2012 after failing to appear at a hearing for allegedly failing to perform work for another client, prosecutors said.Nassau County District Court Judge Joy Watson set bail for Leiton at $5,000. He faces up to 2 1/3 to 7 years in prison if convicted and is due back in court Thursday.Anyone who thinks they may have been victimized by Leiton or his company should contact the district attorney’s complaints bureau at 516-571-3505.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Archives

Categories

Meta

Tags