Orlando small businessman Chris King will challenge incumbent Republican, Rick Scott, for governor of Florida.King is expected to announce his candidacy today (April 4) at the Hillcrest Hampton House in Orlando.King, a Democrat, will call for a new kind of leadership, and movement of people ready for a new direction to “rise up so Florida can lead again.”In conjunction with his announcement, the King campaign released a video titled “Rise and Lead, Florida.”Born in Orlando, King is a third-generation Central Floridian. He graduated from Harvard University and earned his law degree from the University of Florida.Over a dozen years ago, , King and his brother started Elevation, a company that provides seniors across the state and Southeast affordable housing options.King has also started several charitable efforts to serve their community including the Elevation Scholars program, which provides college scholarship opportunities to low-income students in Orange County. The Elevation Global Initiative funds family farming and environmental efforts in Haiti, entrepreneurship training in East Africa and prisoner rehabilitation in US prisons. He also helped launch the Elevation Academy, a school in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo that serves 700 low-income students.King attributes his commitment to service to his family and faith. His father, David King, led the successful battle against illegal gerrymandering in Florida. His mother has been an advocate for patient-first healthcare for 30 years, serving as Chairman of the Board of Directors of Orlando Health, a non-profit family of hospitals in Central Florida, and as one of the early founders and first chairman of Grace Medical Home, an award-winning free and charitable clinic in Orlando.King met his wife Kristen and are raising their three children in Orlando.Rick Scott…being challenged by Chris King for Governor of FloridaRick Scott has been governor of Florida since 2011. He defeated Bill McCollum in the vigorously contested Republican primary election and narrowly defeated Democratic nominee Alex Sink in a close race in the general election, spending roughly $75 million of his own money in the process. In 2014, he won re-election over former Republican turned Democratic challenger, former governor Charlie Crist and several third-party and/or independent candidates.He is Florida’s 45th governor.
Chrisann Gordon..opens 2017 400 meters season with personal best Jamaica’s Olympic mile relay silver medalist, Chrisann Gordon opened her 2017 athletic season with a personal best over 400 meters at Saturday’s LSU Alumni Gold track and field meet.Gordon, 22, represented Jamaica at the Rio Olympics as a member of the country’s mile relay squad. She finished in a time of 50.64 seconds at the Bernie Moore Track Stadium.Gordon, who represents Texas University, bettered her previous best of 51.02, done last year in San Salvador.American two-time World Championships mile relay gold medal winner, Jessica Beard who was representing Empire Athletics and Zola Golden, also of Texas University, was were second and third respectively.
Busy Signal, whose hit songs include Nah Go A Jail Again, Smoke Some High Grade, Tic Toc and Watch Out For This (Bumaye), has been unable to work in the US due to legal challenges. Chris Roberts, CEO of the event, said the deejay has been granted a visa to perform in the United States. He joins Ken Boothe, Freddie McGregor, Tarrus Riley and R Kelly as headliners for ‘Groovin’ at Roy Wilkins Park in Queens, New York.“I am happy that this historic performance will be delivered on a Groovin’ stage, the biggest music platform for reggae and R&B music in the US,” said Roberts.U Roy, Leroy Sibbles, Lloyd Parks and We The People Band, and a 17-man orchestra directed by Michael ‘Ibo’ Cooper, will also perform. Busy Signal will be performing at Groovin In The Park on June 25, promoters of the annual event have confirmed.
The Jamaican Diaspora is being encouraged to take advantage of business prospects across Jamaica as a means of strengthening its relationship with the country.At the official opening of the Jamaica 55 Diaspora Conference in Kingston on Sunday, Prime Minister Andrew Holness said there are business opportunities in logistics, Business Process Outsourcing (BPO), nutraceuticals and agriculture. Diaspora should take advantages “I implore the Diaspora to take full advantage of the opportunities that will be presented at the Diaspora conference so that there will be concrete plans and opportunities for future engagement,” Holness said.To facilitate increased involvement, the prime minister said one of the Government’s principal objectives is to make it easier for prospective investors, including the Diaspora, to conduct business in and with Jamaica.“Our aim is to streamline the work of critical agencies and procedures to avoid duplication, thereby creating a more favorable business environment,” he noted.PM reiterates Jamaica’s commitmentThe prime minister reiterated the Government is serious about strengthening the relationship between the Diaspora and Jamaica in every aspect, adding that the conference provides a “springboard” to facilitate this.“This administration pledges to continue facilitating…your involvement in every facet of the country’s socio-economic development. We are pleased to see that the engagement process has evolved over the 13 years of philanthropy to one where the Diaspora is now fully on board,” he said.Holness added that the country appreciates the significant contributions the Diaspora continues to make to communities, schools and health facilities across the island.“The Government is cognizant of the fact that you, our Diaspora members, are amongst our best assets – sharing your skills, creativity and boundless ingenuity – and we must use this to our nation’s benefit,” he said.DelegatesSeveral delegates from the United States, including over thirty from South Florida, Canada and the United Kingdom are the Diaspora conference in Jamaica. The conference also coincides with celebrations of Jamaica’s 55th anniversary of independence. Jamaica was granted independence from Britain on August 6, 1962.
After several months of investigating in illegal use of emails by former government members, TNT police have submitted their findings to the Director of Public Prosecution.Emailgate The Trinidad and Tobago police say they have completed their investigation into the so-called “emailgate” controversy in which several former government ministers had been accused of being involved in a sinister move to undermine the judiciary, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) and the media.In the hands of DPPActing Police Commissioner Stephen Williams, speaking on a police sanctioned television show over the last weekend said the matter is now in the hands of the DPP, Roger Gaspard.Sinister moveOn May 20, 2013, then Opposition Leader Dr. Keith Rowley told Parliament he had received 31 emails purporting to show correspondence between then Prime Minister Persad Bissessar, then attorney general Anand Ramlogan, local government and works minister Suruj Rambachan and security adviser Gary Griffith, in a sinister move to undermine the judiciary, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) and the media.Rowley told legislators that he had received the emails in December the previous year, from a “whistle blower” indicating how operatives within the government had sought to undermine those institutions. He said he had passed them on to the Office of the President.Rowley said the emails, dating back to September 2012, were from people concerned with the government’s defense of the early proclamation of Section 34 of the Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act that had the effect of allowing people, whose trial has not started after a 10-year period to walk free and a verdict of not guilty entered against their names.Aimed at supporting part financiersCritics said that the clause was aimed at supporting businessmen Ish Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson, who have been described as financiers of the ruling United National Congress (UNC), the biggest partner in the four-member coalition government.The two are facing fraud and laundering charges relating to the re-development of the Piarco International Airport in 2001. They are also wanted in the United States on a number of related charges.However, the then government officials have all denied the accusations and Persad Bissessar and Ramlogan had sent pre-action protocol letter alleging that Rowley on May 23 at a public meeting continued to use the e-mails as the basis for his assertion.
Hundreds of immigrant youth have lost their ability to work, go to school, and operate their lives normally due to the administration’s arbitrary decision to rescind DACA. Congress has failed to protect our youth, who face an imminent threat as the President’s March 5th deadline looms to end their legal protections. More than 80 percent of Americans are in favor of a permanent solution for DREAMers, and the White House is using their popularity to request an astounding 21.5 billion dollars in the government spending bill to fund an unnecessary border wall, more immigration enforcement agents, more jail beds and prisons to detain immigrant families and DREAMers.The nation has urgent needs in healthcare, education and so many other areas; yet the Trump administration remains focused on wasting billions of taxpayer dollars to target immigrants instead of focusing on the country’s needs. The Florida Coalition on Immigration demand a legislative solution for DREAMers that doesn’t include increasing funding for immigration enforcement, border militarization, and the incessant profiling and harassment of our immigrant communities. Any legislative solution must not harm undocumented immigrants or increase family separations.The following is a statement from Ana Guevara, an DACA recipient and volunteer coordinator with the Florida Student Power Network:“As DACA Recipient, I am urging lawmakers to pass a legislation that will protect the undocumented youth WITHOUT putting our families and communities at risk. We will not support a bill that will criminalize our communities and put them at risk of deportation. We cannot wait any longer and continue to live our lives with uncertainty and fear. The time is now to pass a Clean Dream Act.”To occupy Congressional officesOn March 5th, Trump’s self-imposed deadline for providing a permanent solution for DREAMers, immigrant youth and allies from Florida will once again visit the nation’s capital, occupying Congressional offices and other spaces to demand that lawmakers act to protect them as an ever increasing number lose their work permits and protection from deportation, with an average of 122 per day losing their DACA status. They will join thousands of others from across the country in urging Congress to find a permanent solution for our DREAMers that doesn’t separate immigrant families.
Dancehall artist and reality TV star, Spice, has made the day of one lucky high schooler. The VH1’s Love and Hip Hop Atlanta cast member recently launched the Grace Hamilton Women Empowerment Foundation and partnered with JLM couture, VaSeanBrielle Nail Boutique, Empire Beauty School and hair brand Lola’s Hair to provide a unique opportunity for young women at NYC’s John Dewey High School on a prom giveaway competition, according to The Source.Applicants were asked to submit a statement of why they should be considered for the prize, and from that pool, the winner was Leslie Peña.The win gave Pena her prom dress and shoes and well as hair, makeup and accessories to attend the prom. She and a guest were also treated to a complimentary pre-prom meal at a local restaurant.
KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Jamaica is receiving international expertise in undertaking the security audit of the tourism sector.In October, Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett announced that he had directed the Tourism Product Development Company (TPDCo), to conduct the audit through its Destination Assurance Division.The objective, he said, was to identify gaps and ensure that the destination remains safe, secure, and seamless for visitors and locals alike.Bartlett told the Jamaica Information Service (JIS), that the audit will be conducted with the support and assistance of Dr. Peter Tarlow, who is “one of the most outstanding safety engineers and consultants in tourism today.”“Dr. Tarlow will be supported by a global rescue team from the United States, along with technical support from some of the major destinations, such as the United Kingdom and Canada,” he said.He noted that Dr. Tarlow will discuss solutions with safety professionals in Jamaica.“This confluence of top international as well as local thinkers, planners and consultants will enable us to have a full-scale review of all our protocols in tourism and, particularly, to enable us to carve and, indeed, to create a new architecture for tourism ethics in Jamaica,” he added.Bartlett said that the Government is determined to preserve “the wonderful destination that we have” and ensure that “all our visitors… feel confident and protected while in Jamaica”.“Their human rights must be respected and their cultural and other traits, which are dear and special to them, must also be protected and respected,” he added.The Tourism Minister said that Jamaica prides itself on being a safe, secure and seamless destination.“We have been very high on visitor facilitation, creating access and providing quality services for our visitors. That record remains impeccable, and so where there are any cases of infractions and where we have knowledge, we act swiftly and we act resolutely.”He noted that the Government is fully aware that the changing landscape of tourism today makes it mandatory for countries like Jamaica, to consistently review all protocols and arrangements and operate at the highest standards to protect market share.
PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – The Haitian Conference of Religious (CHR) has announced plans for a “national silent march” across the country on Tuesday as it warned of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis” as opposition forces demand the resignation of President Jovenel Moise.In a statement, the CHR said that it has taken note of the “unprecedented humanitarian crisis in which the country is in the process of tipping over” and the situation “is the result of a much deeper crisis affecting the very foundations of our coexistence in its political, economic, social and religious dimensions”.It has also been critical of the “total bankruptcy of our republican institutions – the executive, the legislature and the judiciary – and the responsibility of our political, intellectual and economic elites in the deterioration of the situation”.The religious group said, as a result, it was calling “on the conscience of everyone, especially the head of the executive power to take note of the seriousness of the hour and make a wise decision for Haiti accordingly.“Due to the insensitivity and indifference of different political actors to the future of the country, because of the general climate of insecurity, we find ourselves obliged to keep the doors of our institutions closed. Until a happy outcome of the crisis is found in the best time,” it said.The CHR said that at a time when Pope Francis invites “us in his prayer to be witnesses of the Gospel, courageous and ardent so that the mission entrusted to the Church, we decide to make two symbolic gestures but very significant“We are in solidarity with the victims of this crisis that has already lasted too long, by donating blood to the Haitian Red Cross, visit of hospitals for the delivery of the product of our collection of drugs and medical equipment.“In deep communion and in permanent solidarity with our suffering people, we will walk in silence from 9:00 am on Tuesday, October 22, 2019, in all major cities of the country to pray, celebrate our faith and implore Divine graces on our country and our people.“We will go from the church of Christ the King to go the sanctuary of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Bel-Air and finish with a Eucharistic celebration to be presided over by our Archbishop.“We invite the clergy of our ten dioceses and the faithful Catholics, members of all other religious denominations, all socio-professional sectors, all men and women of goodwill to join us in raising the cry of our pains,” the CHR said in its statement.Meanwhile, teachers are expected to stay away from classes on Monday as their unions urge them to participate “in a peaceful march…to demand the resignation of the Head of State and the reopening of schools”.The political and economic crisis in Haiti was triggered by the publication in January 2019 of a report on the Venezuela-funded PetroCaribe Oil initiative, under which Caracas provided oil and other petroleum products to Haiti under a preferential agreement.Moise, who came to power in 2017, has denied any wrongdoing and has named former prime minister Evans Paul to head a team that would hold discussions with all stakeholders to discuss a way forward.Moise has urged Haitians to “identify their real enemies’ and again warned that the system which deprives the country of developing is alive and well in the country.“The system has the capacity to regenerate each time. The people must be able to identify their real enemies,” he said last week, adding “this system that generates misery, poverty, exclusion, has come to an end and we must work together to prevent it from regenerating”.Last week, CARICOM said it was “deeply concerned” over the protracted political crisis in Haiti and that it is still awaiting a response from President Moise for a good offices Prime Ministerial delegation to visit.The decision to send a delegation comprising, CARICOM Chairman and St. Lucia Prime Minister Allen Chastanet, Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness and the Bahamas Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis had been taken at the CARICOM Summit held in St. Lucia in July this year.
Related2018 CHAN: CAF Sets New Inspection Visit Date Following Political Unrest In KenyaSeptember 7, 2017In “Africa”2018 CHAN: See Full Schedule Of CAF’s Inspection Visit To KenyaSeptember 10, 2017In “Africa”CHAN 2018: CAF To Inspect Kenya’s Readiness To Host Africa, Set Visit DateAugust 15, 2017In “Africa” The Confederation of African Football, CAF has canceled the planned facility inspection visit to Kenya ahead of the 2018 Championship for African Nations (CHAN).The decision to cancel the inspection is as a result of the current political and security situation in the country following the annulment of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election by the Supreme Court of Kenya last Friday.A letter from FKF President Nick Mwendwa reads: “We have just been informed that in light of the recent happenings CAF will be sending its second Vice President Mr. Constant Omari to access the political and security situation of the country before they can proceed with the inspection visit,”The Caf inspecting delegation was scheduled to arrive Kenya for a five-day visit of facilities on 7th September and depart the East African country on 12th September 2017, ahead of the January-February 2018 CHAN.A new inspection date will be announced after CAF’s second Vice President visit the country on Sunday evening.The 2018 CHAN would take place in Kenya From January 11 to February 2.