News April 29, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court acquits well-known columnist of defaming Parliament JordanMiddle East – North Africa to go further RSF_en Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders is relieved to learn that Khaled Mahadin, a well-known columnist who writes for the government-owned Al Rai newspaper, has been acquitted of insulting parliament in an article posted on the website Khabberni on 13 February criticising the personal expenses of parliamentarians. Aged 68, Mahadin was an adviser to the late King Hussein.“This decision is a step in the right direction,” Reporters Without Borders said.The article that prompted a lawsuit by parliamentarians was entitled “For God’s Sakes, Abdallah.” Urging King Abdallah to dissolve parliament because of the “illegal privileges” enjoyed by its members, Mahadin criticised “the work of parliamentarians and the privileges given to them at the expense of Jordanian tax payers” and called on them “to cut spending and cancel plans to increase their salaries in a bid to face the global economic crisis.”As his article was posted online, Mahadin was tried under the criminal code instead of the press law. He had faced a possible two-year jail sentence on a charge of defamation under article 364 of the criminal code.A first hearing was held on 8 March. The next hearing, on 30 March, was postponed until 21 April so that Mahadin would go abroad for health reasons. The acquittal was issued on 27 April. News August 12, 2020 Find out more JordanMiddle East – North Africa News Help by sharing this information Jordan bans coverage of teachers’ protests News April 14, 2020 Find out more Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives Organisation Follow the news on Jordan Two Jordanian TV journalists arrested after broadcasting criticism of lockdown June 15, 2020 Find out more
Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Jason Corbett pictured with his two children Jack (10) and Sarah (8)by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up AS JASON Corbett’s body was brought back to Limerick on this Thursday morning, a custody battle was looming over the future of his two Irish-born children left traumatised by their father’s death in a domestic incident at their North Carolina home last week.On Sunday, August 2, police and emergency paramedics responding to an emergency call found the 39 year-old Limerick businessman in his home with serious head injuries.The fatal injuries were sustained as a result of what local police say was “a blunt force trauma to the head”.But in the wake of that tragedy, Mr Corbett’s two children are now at the centre of a bitter custody battle between their legal guardians and the chief suspect in the Limerick man’s killing.Having left her holiday in France, Tracey Lynch, Jason’s sister, went to the US where she has led the fight to get both her brother’s body and his two children home to Ireland. She says she wants a quick resolution to the issue to allow her grieve her bother’s violent death.And the Corbett family have vowed that they will not bury Jason until they have full custody of his two children.This Friday, a judge is to decide the outcome of the custody hearing over the guardianship of Jack and Sarah Corbett who have been living in the home where their father was killed last week.Mr Corbett’s second wife, Molly Martens, who is a US citizen was granted temporary custody of the two young children whose father was killed in what local police have described as a “domestic disturbance”.A police spokesman said they are not looking outside the family home for anyone else in connection with Mr Corbett’s death.Jack and Sarah’s legal guardians are his sister Tracey and her husband David Lynch and the family members who have remained home in Limerick say they are desperate for news of developments that will finally see Jason laid to rest and his children back on Irish soil.It is understood that there has been very little contact with the children and their extended Limerick family since their father’s death.Ms Lynch said that Jason left written instructions asking that his children return to Ireland in the event of his death.“It’s what Jason wanted. Jason left instructions that my husband and I would be the guardians of Jack and Sarah.”Speaking from North Carolina on Tuesday night, Ms Lynch said that she was getting to grips with the legal process and she was hopeful of a positive outcome.“I have confidence in the system here, that they will allow Jack and Sarah to come home. They’re Irish citizens, they’re on their dad’s work visa and they’ve no relatives in America.“All of Jason’s family and friends, the children’s biological grandparents, both sets, are in Ireland waiting for us to come home with Jack and Sarah.”She said that her brother loved his family and friends.“He wanted to come home. We’re just here trying to give Jason a voice. I know what his wishes were.“I’m heartbroken, and I want to go home and be allowed to grieve the loss of one of the most important people in my world with my family.”Mr Corbett who moved to the US four years ago and after the death of his first wife Mags in 2006 from a asthma attack, died at his home in Panther Creek Court, Wallburg in North Carolina.A Delta flight carrying Mr Corbett’s remains touched down this Thursday morning in Dublin Airport after the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust assisted the Corbett family with the arrangements.The trust offers financial assistance to bereaved families to repatriate bodies of their loved ones who have died abroad in sudden or tragic circumstances.Trust co-founder Colin Bell said he was pleased that the trust could help.“This is what we do, this is why we set up the trust, to help people in this situation,” he explained. Mr Bell’s son Kevin was 26 when he was killed in an accident in New York in June 2013 and hss death led Mr Bell and his wife Eithne to establish the trust.The first steps in securing Jack and Sarah Corbett’s future will be decided on this Friday when the children’s legal guardians attempt to secure a ruling allowing them to return home to Ireland.Social media campaigns, personal tributes, petitions and fundraising activities have all been initiated in Ireland in support of the young Corbett children with calls being made for Government intervention at the highest level.The expenditure facing the Corbett family is set to run into the tens of thousands and donations to help fund #jasonsjourney and to #bringjacksarahhome are being accepted through Limerick bank accounts and online. Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories NewsBreaking newsThe end of Jason’s journeyBy Staff Reporter – August 13, 2015 1213 Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Linkedin TAGS#bringjacksarahhome#jasonsjourneyJanesboroJason Corbettlimericknorth carolinapanther creek courtUSwallburg Email Advertisement Twitter Print Previous article€13 million for social housing units in LimerickNext articleLimerick teens leading the way Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
U.S. President Barack Obama will host his Brazilian counterpart, Dilma Rousseff, at the White House on April 9, as part of efforts by both countries to deepen their bilateral relationship, an official White House statement announced February 7. The meeting, which will take place slightly over a year after Obama’s visit to Brazil, will serve to expand “commercial, economic, education, and innovation” ties, the press release stated. Both presidents will address topics of bilateral, regional, and multilateral interest ahead of the Summit of the Americas, to be held in the Colombian city of Cartagena in April, which Obama and Rousseff will attend, and the meeting of the G-20 (group of wealthy and emerging countries) in Mexico in June. The meeting will make it possible “to follow up on progress made” in several programs launched during Obama’s visit to Brazil in March 2011, in the areas of energy, the economy and finance, and democracy promotion, the statement said. The presidents will participate in a meeting with businesspeople from both countries, the White House added. Obama has expressed his desire to move forward as “equal partners” in relations with Brazil, Latin America’s leading economy, while holding up the country as an example of democratic and economic transformation. By Dialogo February 09, 2012
The Chenango County Health Department reported 77 total positive cases, which brings that number up by one from Saturday. CHENANGO COUNTY, N.Y. (WBNG) — The Chenango County Health Department released an update on coronavirus numbers on Sunday. County health officials reported one additional recovery, which brings that total to 44. They said the number of hospitalized individuals remains at nine. The health department said 462 tests have been administered in the county to date. The health department said there are 135 individuals in mandatory quarantine, which is a decrease of four from Saturday. They also said to date there are 51 individuals in precautionary quarantine, which is an increase of 16 from the previous report. For more coronavirus coverage, click here.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Get live updates about the 2015 NBA Draft from Lakers beat writer Mark Medina, columnist Vincent Bonsignore and Clippers beat writer Robert Morales. The draft starts at 4 p.m. on ESPN.Viewing on mobile? Click here.
zoom Cosco Shipping Specialised Carriers has exercised an option to order a third 62,000 dwt pulp carrier from China’s Cosco Dalian Shipyard.In late August 2017, the company ordered two pulp carriers at the Chinese yard, with an option for one more. The previous two vessels were ordered at a price od CNY 222 million (USD 33.6 million) a piece, the shipping firm informed in a stock exchange release.The first carrier from the batch is scheduled to be handed over to the company in January 2019, while the other two ships would be delivered later that year. The units will feature a length of 201.8 meters, a width of 32.2 meters, and will be able to reach a speed of 13.5 knots.The order was made on the back of a contract of affreightment (COA) signed with Brazil’s pulp and paper company Suzano Papel e Celulose in March 2017.Under the five-year contract, Cosco Shipping Specialised Carriers would deploy the new ships to carry Brazilian cargo to the Far East.A total of 300,000 tonnes of paper pulp are expected to be transpored on an annual basis, starting from the first quarter of 2019.World Maritime News Staff