Back to overview,Home naval-today USS Bunker Hill Welcomes Family, Friends Aboard View post tag: News by topic Share this article View post tag: Aboard September 13, 2012 View post tag: welcomes USS Bunker Hill Welcomes Family, Friends Aboard View post tag: Family View post tag: Friends The Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Bunker Hill (CG 52) welcomed nearly 180 friends and family members aboard for a friends and family day cruise, Sept. 7.The crew held its annual one-day excursion to boost morale and give loved ones a chance to experience life aboard a Navy ship first-hand.“Bunker Hill has had a pretty tough operational schedule over the past two to three years with two deployments over an 18-month stretch,” said Capt. Michael J. Ford, commanding officer, USS Bunker Hill. “This gives them a chance to relax a little bit and enjoy the time showing off their ship to friends and family.”Family and friends of the crew were awarded an eye-opening peek at just how their Sailors run the ship and keep it afloat.“It’s my first time on a ship, so I’m looking forward to seeing how things run in the Navy,” said Thelma Miller.After a safety brief, Bunker Hill gave a demonstration of the 25mm MK38 and 5-inch MK45 deck guns, allowing everyone on board to see some of the cruiser’s firepower.“They were able to observe the 25mm gun shoot and allowed to see a smoothly operating sea and anchor detail,” said Operations Specialist Seaman Recruit Charles Norvice.There was a steel beach picnic, a treat that the crew is usually afforded during underway periods. There was also plenty of down time for whale watching. “I love that I have a chance to give [my girlfriend] the experience of what it is like to be on a ship and out on the ocean,” said Engineman 2nd Class Johnny Clemente.Loved ones traveled from all over the country and from as far as Spain and the State of Eritrea, a country in the Horn of Africa. “This is a time when we can be close to each other and they can see exactly what we do,” said Logistics Specialist 2nd Class Faniel Gebray. Gebray’s father traveled from Eritrea to participate in the cruise. “He sees what I do, he is proud of me and it is exciting to know that he is proud of me,” said Gerbay.[mappress]Naval Today Staff, September 13, 2012; Image: US Navy View post tag: Naval View post tag: Bunker View post tag: Hill View post tag: USS Training & Education View post tag: Navy
With three days remaining until Monday’s transfer deadline, professional services firm Deloitte has released data indicating that spending is already 15 per cent higher than at the same stage of last year’s window. As of Friday morning, clubs had spent an estimated £430million on players, £60million short of the final 2012 total of £490million. The record spend of £500million was recorded in 2008. One of the chief reasons for the increased spending is thought to be the competition’s new £5.5billion global television deals, which have taken effect this season. Dan Jones, partner in Deloitte’s specialist Sports Business Group, said: “This summer looks set to be a record for the Premier League in gross, and quite possibly also net transfer spending. “Clubs have already spent over £400million this summer and with several large deals looking close to completion and a number of clubs still expected to do significant business, we will likely see the £500million gross record broken by Tuesday morning. “In a potentially record summer, it is important to consider this level of spending in the wider financial context of the Premier League. “The 2013-14 season will be the first in which clubs will benefit financially from the increased broadcast deals and we are seeing this translate into increased spending. “However, transfer spending this summer is still likely to be less than the total incremental revenue clubs will receive from these new broadcast deals.” The highest fees paid so far are the reported £32million Chelsea paid for Willian this week and the £30million Manchester City spent on Fernandinho earlier in the summer. City have actually spent close to £90million with Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic also arriving at the Etihad Stadium. Premier League spending during the summer transfer window is poised to hit record levels this year. Press Association Tottenham have also been heavy spenders, paying out around £60million on Paulinho, Nacer Chadli, Roberto Soldado and Etienne Capoue. An £8.5million deal for Vlad Chiriches and one for Erik Lamela – for a reported £25.7million – have also been completed since Deloitte published their analysis. Much of their spending is likely to be recouped however if and when Gareth Bale completes a move to Real Madrid.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Matt Hutcheson, CCA, Product Manager, Seed Consultants, Inc.While scouting corn fields this spring, some farmers in the eastern Corn Belt may have noticed strange looking corn plants with new growth that was yellow and leaves that were wrinkled randomly spread throughout their field. This a phenomenon is referred to as “Rapid Growth Syndrome.” In many areas of our sales footprint weather conditions were such that our agronomists and sales staff observed plants affected by Rapid Growth Syndrome. Corn plants are usually affected by this issue is in the V5 to V6 stages of growth. This phenomenon is usually associated with an abrupt change in weather. Twisted whorls can appear when corn plants shift from a period of slow growth (in cool, cloudy weather) to more rapid growth (warm, sunny weather).Symptoms of Rapid Growth Syndrome include bent-over plants and tightly wrapped whorls that keep younger leaves from emerging. Once younger leaves emerge, they are often yellow but turn green after a few days. In one area Seed Consultants’ staff observed corn plants with leaves that were notched or shredded due to similar rapid growth conditions. This issue seemed more wide spread in 2016 because more areas were affected periods of cooler wet weather followed by warm weather that promoted rapid growth.The important question is, “Does Rapid Growth Syndrome diminish corn yields?” According to Bob Nielsen in his article Wrapped and Twisted Whorls in Corn, “Yield effects from periods of twisted growth caused by weather-related causes are minimal, if any.” Growers who observed twisted whorls and notched or wrinkled leaves in their corn fields this spring should keep in mind that plants will recover from this phenomenon and yields will not be significantly affected.
Phelps overjoyed to announce new baby John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES AFP official booed out of forum Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH “It feels good, because last year was really tough for us and only winning one game it was hard so getting our second win, we’ve already our record and it feels good,” said Padda. “It shows that there’s been growth in the program and our team is not a pushover from last year.”Although the Lady Maroons managed to go hit-for-hit with the Lady Falcons in the second and third sets, the same can’t be said for the opening set when Adamson looked flawless.Adamson tallied eight service aces in the first set alone, and that mark was two more than UP scored in spikes.“That first set really hurt UP and our passing was really good,” said Padda as her team finished with 17 aces. “I’m surprised we got 17 aces, our team’s growing. And if we had to define us, I won’t define us as a strong serving team, we’re a strong defensive team.”Adamson outgunned UP, 40-26, in terms of spikes and was ahead 53-39 in excellent digs.ADVERTISEMENT Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Read Next Mylene Paat led Adamson with 15 points, eight coming off aces, while Galanza added 14.Mary Joy Dacoron and Chiara Permentilla also finished in double figures with 11 and 10 points, respectively.Carlos led UP with 12 points while Isa Molde added seven. Adamson wasted no time and handed University of the Philippines its second straight loss, 25-9, 27-25, 25-20, victory in the UAAP Season 80 women’s volleyball tournament Wednesday at Filoil Flying V Centre.ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting The Lady Falcons soared to their second straight win for a 2-1 card, already eclipsing their one-win total from Season 79, while the Lady Maroons slipped to their second straight loss and a 1-2 record.With the Lady Falcons leading two sets to none and 23-18 in the third, Diana Carlos managed to score two straight points to cut the margin to three, 23-20, and give UP a semblance of fight.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutCarlos’ back-to-back hits prompted Adamson head coach Air Padda to call time, and Jema Galanza calmed her mentor down with a pinpoint kill that went through UP’s defense and put the Lady Falcons at the 24-20 match point.UP’s Marian Buitre then gave Adamson the win when she failed to get the ball over from her side of the floor. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
MONTREAL — Health officials in Quebec have discovered that a woman who had been working as a nurse and caring for hospital patients for 20 years was an impostor.The health authority in the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean region of eastern Quebec fired the woman this month from her position at the hospital in Jonquiere.The health authority said the woman managed to get hired and keep her job by providing the nursing license number of someone with the same name.Her ploy was discovered a few weeks ago when she enrolled in a training course. An official noticed that the age listed on her license number did not match up with her actual age.She was immediately suspended pending an investigation, which led to her dismissal.Before being exposed, the woman had worked in several departments of the hospital, including the operating room.The Canadian Press
REGINA – Saskatchewan says it will not be joining Alberta in banning the import of British Columbia wines.Alberta Premier Rachel Notley announced the ban on Tuesday as the next step in an ongoing dispute with B.C. over the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.In a statement on Facebook, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says that while his province supports Alberta in its fight, he doesn’t think the dispute will be solved by trade measures that have an impact on consumers and private businesses.B.C. has said it is considering rules to limit any increase in the shipping of diluted bitumen until an independent panel can better analyze whether the system is safe and can adequately deal with a spill.The Trans Mountain project has already been approved by Ottawa and Notley sees B.C.’s move as a back-door way to scuttle the expansion.The $7.4-billion Kinder Morgan project would triple capacity on the 1,150-kilometre line, which runs from Edmonton to the B.C. coast.Moe suggests that rather than boycott B.C. wine, Saskatchewan will look at options either through the courts or interprovincial trade agreements.“It is our position that the government of British Columbia has no legal jurisdiction or justification to delay or impede the construction of the Trans Mountain pipeline,” he said.“While we have previously stated that Saskatchewan will support Alberta in defending against this attack on our energy industry, Saskatchewan has no plans to participate in retaliatory measures that would be in contravention of our trade commitments.“We do not believe this matter will be resolved by trade measures that will primarily impact consumers and private businesses.”(Companies in this story: TSX:KML)
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — The Latest on a Michigan panel’s consideration of a proposal to allow construction of an oil pipeline tunnel beneath the waterway linking Lakes Huron and Michigan (all times local):5:10 p.m.A plan to build an oil pipeline tunnel beneath a channel linking Lakes Huron and Michigan has won final approval.One week after it was established, a Michigan panel approved an agreement between outgoing Republican Gov. Rick Snyder’s administration and the Canadian pipeline company Enbridge. It calls for drilling the 4-mile (6.4 kilometre) tunnel through bedrock under the Straits of Mackinac.The new pipeline segment will replace twin pipes along the lake bed. They are part of Enbridge’s Line 5. The pipeline carries oil and natural gas liquids between Superior, Wisconsin, and Sarnia, Ontario.The unanimous approval from the three-member Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority accomplishes Snyder’s goal of sealing the deal before leaving office this month. His successor, Democrat Gretchen Whitmer, has criticized the tunnel plan.___8:50 a.m.A recently established state panel in Michigan could give final approval to a proposed oil pipeline tunnel beneath a crucial section of the Great Lakes.The Mackinac Straits Corridor Authority is scheduled to meet for the first time Wednesday in St. Ignace.The three-member panel is expected to consider recent agreements between Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder’s administration and Enbridge Inc. The Canadian company wants to drill a tunnel through bedrock under the straits area connecting Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.The tunnel would hold a new section of Enbridge’s Line 5, which carries oil and natural gas liquids between Superior, Wisconsin, and Sarnia, Ontario.It would replace a more than 4-mile-long (6.4-kilometre-long) dual segment of pipe that runs along the lakebed.Environmental groups oppose the tunnel and want Line 5 shut down.The Associated Press
New Delhi: Congress President Rahul Gandhi Sunday said if voted to power, his party will introduce a single-window system for education loans and bring a law that will “list the rights and duties of students”.In a Facebook post, Gandhi asserted that a Congress government will ensure free education to all students from Class 1 to 12 in government schools in the country. He said the Congress will restore the independence and autonomy of colleges and universities and will open new state-run varsities in backward areas of the country to ensure the expansion of the education sector. “The Congress will restore the independence and autonomy of colleges and universities and will open new state-run varsities in backward areas of the country to ensure expansion of education. “The Congress will also bring ‘Student Rights Law’ that will list the rights and duties of students,” he said in a Facebook post. “We feel that education empowers a child and it should be made available to all children. “The Congress promises to ensure free and compulsory education to all in government schools from Class 1 to 12. We will raise the budget on education to 6 per cent of GDP,” he said in another post. Gandhi said a Congress government will waive outstanding interest on old education loans prior to March 31, 2019. “We will also introduce a single-window system for grant of education loans. The banks will not charge any interest on loans till the time the student gets a job and starts earning or becomes self-employed,” he added.
New Delhi: India cricketers Hardik Pandya and K L Rahul were on Saturday fined Rs 20 lakh each by the BCCI Ombudsman D K Jain for their sexist comments on a popular TV show. In the order published on the official BCCI website, Jain wrote that no further action will be taken against Pandya and Rahul, who have already served a provisional suspension and tendered an unconditional apology for their loose comments on women. Instead, he directed the World Cup bound players to play a fine of Rs 20 lakh each that included a payment of Rs 1 lakh each to “each of the most deserving widows of ten constables in para-military forces who have lost their lives while on duty, through ‘Bharat Ke Veer App”. Jain also instructed them to deposit Rs 10 lakh each in the fund “created by the Cricket Association for the blind”. All payments are to be made within four weeks from the date of the order — April 19, 2019. The Supreme Court-appointed Ombudsman had issued notices to Pandya and Rahul earlier this month to appear for deposition for their controversial comments on Koffee with Karan’. Pandya and Rahul were provisionally suspended by the Committee of Administrators (COA) for their remarks before the suspension was lifted pending an inquiry by the Ombudsman. Both players became subjects of nationwide criticism following their remarks on women. The controversial episode was aired in the first week of January, triggering outrage, which prompted the COA to call the duo back from the tour of Australia, handing them provisional suspensions. The two tendered unconditional apologies and their ban was provisionally lifted pending inquiry. Once Jain assumed his role, the COA handed over the matter to Ombudsman for the completion of inquiry. The two players have also spoken publicly on the incident, recalling one of the toughest phases of their respective careers.