Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Jason Corbett pictured with his two children Jack (10) and Sarah (8)by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up AS JASON Corbett’s body was brought back to Limerick on this Thursday morning, a custody battle was looming over the future of his two Irish-born children left traumatised by their father’s death in a domestic incident at their North Carolina home last week.On Sunday, August 2, police and emergency paramedics responding to an emergency call found the 39 year-old Limerick businessman in his home with serious head injuries.The fatal injuries were sustained as a result of what local police say was “a blunt force trauma to the head”.But in the wake of that tragedy, Mr Corbett’s two children are now at the centre of a bitter custody battle between their legal guardians and the chief suspect in the Limerick man’s killing.Having left her holiday in France, Tracey Lynch, Jason’s sister, went to the US where she has led the fight to get both her brother’s body and his two children home to Ireland. She says she wants a quick resolution to the issue to allow her grieve her bother’s violent death.And the Corbett family have vowed that they will not bury Jason until they have full custody of his two children.This Friday, a judge is to decide the outcome of the custody hearing over the guardianship of Jack and Sarah Corbett who have been living in the home where their father was killed last week.Mr Corbett’s second wife, Molly Martens, who is a US citizen was granted temporary custody of the two young children whose father was killed in what local police have described as a “domestic disturbance”.A police spokesman said they are not looking outside the family home for anyone else in connection with Mr Corbett’s death.Jack and Sarah’s legal guardians are his sister Tracey and her husband David Lynch and the family members who have remained home in Limerick say they are desperate for news of developments that will finally see Jason laid to rest and his children back on Irish soil.It is understood that there has been very little contact with the children and their extended Limerick family since their father’s death.Ms Lynch said that Jason left written instructions asking that his children return to Ireland in the event of his death.“It’s what Jason wanted. Jason left instructions that my husband and I would be the guardians of Jack and Sarah.”Speaking from North Carolina on Tuesday night, Ms Lynch said that she was getting to grips with the legal process and she was hopeful of a positive outcome.“I have confidence in the system here, that they will allow Jack and Sarah to come home. They’re Irish citizens, they’re on their dad’s work visa and they’ve no relatives in America.“All of Jason’s family and friends, the children’s biological grandparents, both sets, are in Ireland waiting for us to come home with Jack and Sarah.”She said that her brother loved his family and friends.“He wanted to come home. We’re just here trying to give Jason a voice. I know what his wishes were.“I’m heartbroken, and I want to go home and be allowed to grieve the loss of one of the most important people in my world with my family.”Mr Corbett who moved to the US four years ago and after the death of his first wife Mags in 2006 from a asthma attack, died at his home in Panther Creek Court, Wallburg in North Carolina.A Delta flight carrying Mr Corbett’s remains touched down this Thursday morning in Dublin Airport after the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust assisted the Corbett family with the arrangements.The trust offers financial assistance to bereaved families to repatriate bodies of their loved ones who have died abroad in sudden or tragic circumstances.Trust co-founder Colin Bell said he was pleased that the trust could help.“This is what we do, this is why we set up the trust, to help people in this situation,” he explained. Mr Bell’s son Kevin was 26 when he was killed in an accident in New York in June 2013 and hss death led Mr Bell and his wife Eithne to establish the trust.The first steps in securing Jack and Sarah Corbett’s future will be decided on this Friday when the children’s legal guardians attempt to secure a ruling allowing them to return home to Ireland.Social media campaigns, personal tributes, petitions and fundraising activities have all been initiated in Ireland in support of the young Corbett children with calls being made for Government intervention at the highest level.The expenditure facing the Corbett family is set to run into the tens of thousands and donations to help fund #jasonsjourney and to #bringjacksarahhome are being accepted through Limerick bank accounts and online. Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories NewsBreaking newsThe end of Jason’s journeyBy Staff Reporter – August 13, 2015 1213 Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Linkedin TAGS#bringjacksarahhome#jasonsjourneyJanesboroJason Corbettlimericknorth carolinapanther creek courtUSwallburg Email Advertisement Twitter Print Previous article€13 million for social housing units in LimerickNext articleLimerick teens leading the way Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
U.S. President Barack Obama will host his Brazilian counterpart, Dilma Rousseff, at the White House on April 9, as part of efforts by both countries to deepen their bilateral relationship, an official White House statement announced February 7. The meeting, which will take place slightly over a year after Obama’s visit to Brazil, will serve to expand “commercial, economic, education, and innovation” ties, the press release stated. Both presidents will address topics of bilateral, regional, and multilateral interest ahead of the Summit of the Americas, to be held in the Colombian city of Cartagena in April, which Obama and Rousseff will attend, and the meeting of the G-20 (group of wealthy and emerging countries) in Mexico in June. The meeting will make it possible “to follow up on progress made” in several programs launched during Obama’s visit to Brazil in March 2011, in the areas of energy, the economy and finance, and democracy promotion, the statement said. The presidents will participate in a meeting with businesspeople from both countries, the White House added. Obama has expressed his desire to move forward as “equal partners” in relations with Brazil, Latin America’s leading economy, while holding up the country as an example of democratic and economic transformation. By Dialogo February 09, 2012
Egypt is working hard to attract Chinese tourists. Several conferences and events were organised to facilitate the procedures to send Chinese to Egypt. CCTV’s Yasser Hakim highlights Egypt’s efforts to increase its share of the chinese market
Joe Dean (Lindrick, Yorkshire) will be the defending champion of the Poncat Dutch Junior Open. This year the championship will take place at Toxandria Golf Club, near Breda, in the Netherlands on 17th – 20th July. The 19 year old boy international won the title on his maiden overseas event representing England Golf last July, prevailing at the second hole of a sudden death playoff with Dutch youngster Lars van Meijel after the pair had tied on 286, two under par. Dean will be joined this year by Harry Casey (Enfield, Middlesex), English champion Harry Ellis (Meon Valley, Hampshire, IoW & CI) and Bobby Keeble (Crowlands Heath, Essex). The Poncat Dutch Junior Open is a 72-hole stroke play competition for boys and girls under 21 years of age. It is also a counting event on the R&A’s World Amateur Ranking. Dean’s victory last July followed his second place in the Fairhaven Trophy and preceded his England debut in the Boys Home Internationals and his five wins from six games in helping Yorkshire to the Boys County Championship. This year, he has finished third in the Selborne Salver, fifth in the Hampshire Salver and equal sixth in the Bernard Darwin Salver. Casey, 20, was the English boy champion in 2011 when he also won the Duke of York Young Champions title and finish third on the Titleist/FootJoy England Golf Boys Order of Merit. This year, he has won the Selborne Salver, finished tied third in the Portuguese Amateur Championship and Hampshire Salver and made his full England debut against Spain in April. Ellis, 17, became English champion at Silloth-on-Solway a year ago and was called up by England for the Home Internationals in Scotland. He was a member of England’s winning team in the Canadian International Junior Challenge and is enjoying a successful 2013. He has won the Hampshire Junior Championship, finished first in the individual standings in the South East Boys Qualifying, runner-up in the Hampshire Hog and the Michel Carlhian Trophy in France and third in the McEvoy Trophy, while he was capped for the European Boys Team Championships. Keeble, 18, made his England debut in last year’s Boys Home Internationals after losing a playoff for the England under 18 Championship at Deal. He followed that with a joint second place in the South of England Boys Championship and third place in the Daily Telegraph Junior Championship. He also finished runner-up in the Western Province under 23 Stroke Play Championship in South Africa earlier this year and recently won the Essex Championship. The winners of the Poncat receive an entry into the KLM Dutch Open on the European Tour in September and the Dutch Ladies Open on the Ladies European Tour in 2014. Image copyright: Tom Ward Photography 14 Jul 2013 Dean seeks a happy return when he defends Dutch title
PITTSBURGH (AP) — If Le’Veon Bell is returning to the Pittsburgh Steelers later this month, he hasn’t let his teammates and coaches know.Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday he hasn’t heard from the All-Pro running back, who told ESPN on Monday that he will end his standoff with the team around Pittsburgh’s bye week, which begins after the Steelers face the Bengals on Oct. 14.“I have not talked to Le’Veon and I really have no Le’Veon update,” Tomlin said. “It’s the best approach for us to focus on the guys which are here and working … we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. Nothing has changed in that regard.”Bell is in the midst of an extended absence as an act of self-preservation when he and the Steelers could not reach a long-term agreement after Pittsburgh placed the franchise tag on him in the spring.Technically he is not holding out because he has yet to sign his one-year deal, a decision that is costing him more than $850,000 a week. Bell did not offer a specific date for his return, but if he comes in around Oct. 15 it would give him two weeks to show the coaching staff what he can do before the Steelers play Cleveland on Oct. 28.The two-time defending AFC North champions have slumped during Bell’s self-imposed sabbatical. Pittsburgh is 1-2-1 a quarter of the way through the season thanks in large part to sluggish starts that have forced them to play from behind and abandon the running game. The Steelers ran for 19 yards on 11 carries in a loss to Baltimore on Sunday night.Several of Bell’s teammates — particularly the offensive line — expressed frustration in early September when Bell opted not to rejoin the team in time for the opener, as he did in 2017. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hopes Bell gives Pittsburgh a much-needed jolt, but isn’t exactly expecting Bell to show up and save the day, whenever that day actually arrives.“If (Bell) can come back and help us and be ready to go, then we’ll be ready to welcome him back,” Roethlisberger said on his weekly radio show on 93.7 The Fan. “A lot of things were said earlier in the year, but that’s kind of in the past and we’ve moved on, and hopefully he’s moving on in the sense of getting back and ready to be with us.”Bell’s actual physical readiness is unknown. During the summer of 2017 he flooded his social media accounts with video of draining workouts. He was merely OK in his first 2017 appearance but quickly took off after that, eventually leading the NFL in touches and piling up 1,946 total yards.Concerns over his usage rate in 2018 perhaps hurting his value on the open market in 2019 played a role in Bell’s unprecedented move to remain away while the Steelers got off to their worst start since they dropped the first four games in 2013, his rookie season.That was also the last year Pittsburgh missed the playoffs. Though it’s still too early to panic, the way the Steelers have been losing has drawn major red flags for Tomlin. The defense is 30th in the league in yards allowed and 26th in points allowed and the offense can’t seem to get it going before finding itself in a hole. Pittsburgh has been outscored 42-6 in the first quarter this season.“We’ve got to get out of the gate quicker,” Tomin said. “You can’t spot people points in the National Football League. We’ve got to do a better job of starting game on both sides of the ball.”NOTES: The Steelers placed CB Nat Berhe on injured reserve with a torn pectoral and promoted CB Brian Davis from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. … WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (ankle) and ILB Vince Williams (hamstring) will be monitored this week and could play against Atlanta. … CB Mike Hilton (right elbow) and S Morgan Burnett (groin), both of whom did not play against Baltimore, may be available to face the Falcons.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin listens to a question while meeting with reporters following a 26-14 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in an NFL football game in Pittsburgh, Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018. (AP Photo/Fred Vuich)
Allen would leave the locker rooms before cameras arrived, shuffling down hallways and out a side door to avoid taking attention from those he believed deserved it. But though he was the owner of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks and the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers and partial owner of Major League Soccer’s Seattle Sounders, Allen usually shied away from the spotlight sought by others in his same position. As an owner, he didn’t have the same visibility as the Dallas Mavericks’ Mark Cuban nor was he an omnipresent figure on the sidelines like the Cowboys’ Jerry Jones. SEATTLE (AP) — No one had more influence on professional sports in the Pacific Northwest than Paul Allen. In this Feb. 2, 2014 file photo, Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen celebrates after the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game against the Denver Broncos in East Rutherford, N.J. The Seahawks won 43-8. Allen, billionaire owner of the Trail Blazers and the Seattle Seahawks and Microsoft co-founder, died Monday, Oct. 15, 2018 at age 65. Earlier this month Allen said the cancer he was treated for in 2009, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, had returned. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File) The 65-year-old Allen died Monday from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, according to his company, Vulcan Inc. His death leaves a big void in the sports landscape in the upper left corner of the United States, and questions are likely soon to follow about the future of the Seahawks and Blazers.He was a revered figure in Seattle for his entrepreneurship, philanthropy and for keeping the Seahawks from moving to Southern California in the mid-1990s. In Oregon, he was the billionaire who bought the Trail Blazers at age 35 and grew them into a small-market powerhouse with a pair of NBA Finals appearances while keeping them rooted in Portland.He was also part of arguably the most successful expansion franchise launch in pro sports history with the arrival of the Sounders in 2009.“He was a visionary second to none who changed the world but also changed this city which he loved,” said Tod Leiweke, who was chief executive of the Seahawks in the 2000s. “He left as big an impact on Seattle as any person on any city. His legacy here in Seattle will be felt forever.”Allen’s passion was basketball, leading to his purchase of the Blazers in 1988. Within a few years, the team was playing in the NBA Finals with Allen regularly sitting baseline to watch his team on the floor.But it was the NFL where Allen got the most attention, first for saving his hometown team from relocation and later as the team developed into one of the league’s elite franchises. Then-owner Ken Behring was set to move the Seahawks in 1996. Moving trucks had cleared out the team’s facility and players did offseason workouts in Southern California until the league threatened hefty fines against Behring and lawsuits halted the attempted relocation. Allen then purchased an option to buy the franchise and he became full owner once voters approved the construction of what is now CenturyLink Field.After Allen became the owner, the Seahawks had 12 playoff appearances, three NFC titles and the only Super Bowl victory in team history. The team had made the playoffs only four times and had reached a single conference title game before him. Amid the success, Allen’s most public moments came when he raised Seattle’s “12 Flag” before each of the NFC title games the team hosted.“His passion for the game, combined with his quiet determination, led to a model organization on and off the field,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said.Allen saw the Seahawks reach the Super Bowl for the first time in the 2005 season when they lost to Pittsburgh. Eight years later, he finally raised the championship trophy after Seattle’s 43-8 thumping of Denver to conclude the 2013 season, and that night he performed at the celebration party at the team’s hotel.When Seattle celebrated its title in February 2014 inside CenturyLink Field, the normally reserved Allen took a moment to address the crowd. He spoke for less than four minutes, but his words carried weight for the fans.“I can’t say how proud I am that the Seahawks are able to bring the Vince Lombardi trophy home to Seattle,” Allen said that day. “Now we are all Super Bowl champions, each and every one of us.”___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL
In this Jan. 15, 2016, file photo, WWE wrestler Roman Reigns, right, fights against Big Show, left, during WWE Live India Tour, in New Delhi. WWE returned to Indian after a gap of 13 years to entertain their fans. Reigns says he will step away from the ring because he has leukemia. The 33-year-old Reigns, whose real name is Joe Anoa’i, made the announcement Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, to open the episode of “Raw.” (AP Photo/Manish Swarup, File) PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — WWE wrestler Roman Reigns says he will step away from the ring because he has leukemia.The 33-year-old Reigns, whose real name is Joe Anoa’i, made the announcement Monday night to open the episode of “Raw.”He was originally diagnosed in 2008 at age 22, though he quickly went into remission. He’s been fighting the disease since.Anoa’i, who played football at Georgia Tech, has appeared in the last four main events at WrestleMania. The WWE’s universal champion said during the announcement that he plans on returning to the ring when he gets healthy.“Reigns is taking his battle with leukemia public in an effort to raise awareness and funds for research in order to advance cures for the disease,” WWE said in a statement.