Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Jason Corbett pictured with his two children Jack (10) and Sarah (8)by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up AS JASON Corbett’s body was brought back to Limerick on this Thursday morning, a custody battle was looming over the future of his two Irish-born children left traumatised by their father’s death in a domestic incident at their North Carolina home last week.On Sunday, August 2, police and emergency paramedics responding to an emergency call found the 39 year-old Limerick businessman in his home with serious head injuries.The fatal injuries were sustained as a result of what local police say was “a blunt force trauma to the head”.But in the wake of that tragedy, Mr Corbett’s two children are now at the centre of a bitter custody battle between their legal guardians and the chief suspect in the Limerick man’s killing.Having left her holiday in France, Tracey Lynch, Jason’s sister, went to the US where she has led the fight to get both her brother’s body and his two children home to Ireland. She says she wants a quick resolution to the issue to allow her grieve her bother’s violent death.And the Corbett family have vowed that they will not bury Jason until they have full custody of his two children.This Friday, a judge is to decide the outcome of the custody hearing over the guardianship of Jack and Sarah Corbett who have been living in the home where their father was killed last week.Mr Corbett’s second wife, Molly Martens, who is a US citizen was granted temporary custody of the two young children whose father was killed in what local police have described as a “domestic disturbance”.A police spokesman said they are not looking outside the family home for anyone else in connection with Mr Corbett’s death.Jack and Sarah’s legal guardians are his sister Tracey and her husband David Lynch and the family members who have remained home in Limerick say they are desperate for news of developments that will finally see Jason laid to rest and his children back on Irish soil.It is understood that there has been very little contact with the children and their extended Limerick family since their father’s death.Ms Lynch said that Jason left written instructions asking that his children return to Ireland in the event of his death.“It’s what Jason wanted. Jason left instructions that my husband and I would be the guardians of Jack and Sarah.”Speaking from North Carolina on Tuesday night, Ms Lynch said that she was getting to grips with the legal process and she was hopeful of a positive outcome.“I have confidence in the system here, that they will allow Jack and Sarah to come home. They’re Irish citizens, they’re on their dad’s work visa and they’ve no relatives in America.“All of Jason’s family and friends, the children’s biological grandparents, both sets, are in Ireland waiting for us to come home with Jack and Sarah.”She said that her brother loved his family and friends.“He wanted to come home. We’re just here trying to give Jason a voice. I know what his wishes were.“I’m heartbroken, and I want to go home and be allowed to grieve the loss of one of the most important people in my world with my family.”Mr Corbett who moved to the US four years ago and after the death of his first wife Mags in 2006 from a asthma attack, died at his home in Panther Creek Court, Wallburg in North Carolina.A Delta flight carrying Mr Corbett’s remains touched down this Thursday morning in Dublin Airport after the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust assisted the Corbett family with the arrangements.The trust offers financial assistance to bereaved families to repatriate bodies of their loved ones who have died abroad in sudden or tragic circumstances.Trust co-founder Colin Bell said he was pleased that the trust could help.“This is what we do, this is why we set up the trust, to help people in this situation,” he explained. Mr Bell’s son Kevin was 26 when he was killed in an accident in New York in June 2013 and hss death led Mr Bell and his wife Eithne to establish the trust.The first steps in securing Jack and Sarah Corbett’s future will be decided on this Friday when the children’s legal guardians attempt to secure a ruling allowing them to return home to Ireland.Social media campaigns, personal tributes, petitions and fundraising activities have all been initiated in Ireland in support of the young Corbett children with calls being made for Government intervention at the highest level.The expenditure facing the Corbett family is set to run into the tens of thousands and donations to help fund #jasonsjourney and to #bringjacksarahhome are being accepted through Limerick bank accounts and online. Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories NewsBreaking newsThe end of Jason’s journeyBy Staff Reporter – August 13, 2015 1213 Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Linkedin TAGS#bringjacksarahhome#jasonsjourneyJanesboroJason Corbettlimericknorth carolinapanther creek courtUSwallburg Email Advertisement Twitter Print Previous article€13 million for social housing units in LimerickNext articleLimerick teens leading the way Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
From research showing that adults in an Amazon village had about equal competence to Harvard students at basic geometry, Elizabeth Spelke drew a striking lesson.“Amazonian adults look like Harvard students, not like kids,” Spelke, a professor of psychology, told a packed room at the Barker Center Thursday night. “We learned that knowledge of Euclidian geometry can develop in the absence of schooling.”The surprising results from the study of Brazil’s Munduruku show that formal learning is not needed to develop navigational skills, said Spelke, director of the Laboratory for Developmental Studies.Spelke, whose lab is renowned for research into the development of language and other bedrock cognitive skills, focused in her talk on research into how animals and humans place themselves and navigate. The experiments involve spinning research subjects — whether humans or lab rats — until they lose their bearings, and studying how they reorient themselves in a spartan room.Infants and toddlers are adept at using geometric clues to orient themselves in three-dimensional space to find a hidden toy, but less so if their bearings have been disturbed. Lab rats had the same problem, and were unable to process complex decisions or to integrate more than one element. Somewhere along the development continuum, humans, whether at Harvard or in a village along the Amazon, develop the ability to integrate a second distinguishing characteristic — such as a wall painted a different color — to get their bearings. The function of navigation is innate to humans.The frontier is in understanding how it develops.“How does it become natural to us?” she asked.Spelke found no differences in navigational skills based on gender.“There are no sex differences,” she said. “People are really good at this. It’s something we do without being aware of it.”But with more dependence on computers and robots, our abilities might be at risk, she said, seizing on an audience member’s question about the effects of technology, such as smartphones, on child development.“I am worried we’re all going to be using GPSes all the time,” Spelke said. “The Mundurukus are better than Harvard students because they have to keep navigating all the time.”Drivers in modern societies rely heavily on GPS navigation. Looking at a map is almost old-fashioned.“I’m worried it will cause our systems to atrophy,” Spelke said.“We’re doing this enormous experiment on ourselves and our children and grandchildren,” she said. “Innate systems disappear if you don’t use them. It’s a real question of what’s going to happen with all this.”
The event in France had already been postponed from July to Aug. 6-9.Organizers say they cannot overcome “uncertainty concerning the opening of borders” with Asia and the United States.Tournament chairman Franck Riboud says the cancellation is “unavoidable in view of the situation with regards to U.S. travel to continental Europe.”The Women’s British Open is still set for Aug. 20-23 in Troon, Scotland.The three majors played in the United States have been rescheduled for later in the year. Associated Press TENNIS-OLYMPIC QUALIFYINGRankings after next year’s French Open will determine Olympic qualifyingLONDON (AP) — The tennis rankings that come out after the 2021 French Open ends will be used to determine who qualifies for the postponed Tokyo Olympics.The International Tennis Federation says its eligibility rules will be the same as originally set up for Tokyo, with requirements related to minimum participation in Fed Cup or Davis Cup — and an appeals process for players who do not meet those standards.The cutoff for ATP and WTA rankings points for the 2020 Games originally had been Monday. But because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Olympics were pushed back a year to July 2021. FRENCH SOCCER-COURTFrench court upholds suspension of seasonPARIS (AP) — France’s highest administrative court has upheld the decision to cancel the rest of the domestic soccer season amid the coronavirus pandemic.Two clubs that had been demoted to the league’s second division had gone to court, along with a seventh-place club, to try to force the league to play the remaining ten games of the aborted season.The court did suspend the demotion of those teams. Update on the latest in sports: June 9, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditGOLF-EVIAN CHAMPIONSHIPMajor women’s tournament canceledPARIS (AP) — The Evian Championship women’s major golf tournament has been canceled because of the coronavirus outbreak. His attorney would only say there was a “contractual dispute.” GOLF-GARY PLAYER-LEGAL DISPUTEGolfer Gary Player gets $5 million in legal dispute with sonWEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Hall of Fame golfer Gary Player will get $5 million and the rights to his name and likeness back after a legal settlement with a company operated by one of his sons.According to court documents filed Friday in Florida, the 84-year-old golfer and the South Carolina-based Gary Player Group reached a settlement last month as the dispute was being arbitrated. The group is operated by Marc Player, one of the golfer’s six children.Gary Player designs golf courses and sells golf equipment, sportswear and wine under “The Black Knight,” his nickname. The season was canceled with Paris Saint-Germain declared champion.In other sports-related coronavirus developments:— The regular seasons in the third and fourth divisions of English soccer have been cut short because of the coronavirus pandemic. The English Football League says clubs “voted by an overwhelming majority” to end the season and the final standings have been calculated using an unweighted points-per-game basis.— The West Indies cricket team has arrived in England for a three-test tour. The entire Caribbean-based touring party returned negative tests to COVID-19 before departing from Antigua. Two planes collected players from various islands in the West Indies on Monday. They boarded a private charter to Manchester. The 39-strong touring party will be quarantined and tested again for COVID-19 on arrival at Old Trafford for the seven-week tour.— The Wales Rally GB has become the latest race in the world rally championship to be called off because of the coronavirus pandemic. The rally was scheduled for Oct. 29-Nov. 1. It was to be the penultimate event of the season. DOPING-SHUSTOVHigh-jumper gets four-year banMOSCOW (AP) — Former European high jump champion Alexander Shustov has been banned for four years for doping in the latest case from previous years to hit the Russian team.Shustov won the gold medal at the European championships in 2010.The Russian Athletics Federation says he was banned for the use or attempted use of a banned substance or method, without giving any further details. His ban is dated from June 5, and his results disqualified for a period from 2013 to 2017.