Pinterest Twitter Teen going to trial on robbery charges Pinterest Oct. 22 Odessa police charged 17-year-old Leon Nicholas Flores with unauthorized use of a vehicle, a state jail felony, on Oct. 22. Flores was already in custody at the Ector County Detention Center on unrelated charges. Officers responded July 27 to the 2900 block of West Sixth Street in reference to a burglary and theft of a vehicle. The complainant reported that someone burglarized one of her vehicles and stole another vehicle. A latent print was located on the complainant’s vehicle and entered into an AFIS database. The print was positively identified as belonging to Flores. Detectives interviewed Flores, who admitted to committing the burglary and also described the vehicle that was stolen. Flores, 1204 Oak Ave., was being held Oct. 25 at the Ector County Detention Center on $15,000 bond. A 19-year-old accused of robbing five suspects and leading police on a chase in a stolen car two years ago is expected to go to trial next month following a pre-trial hearing Friday morning.The pre-trial hearing was at 10:30 a.m. in the 161st District Court of Judge John Smith. The accused, Leon Flores, is represented by attorney Adrian Chavez, who was not at the hearing.Judge Smith told Flores he could bet on facing his jury trial June 4, as his name was the first on the docket.Flores was indicted in January 2017 on seven charges, including five counts of aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, and two counts of unauthorized use of a vehicle, a state jail felony.Police first charged Flores in August 2016, after dispatchers received a 9-1-1 call about a robbery in the 1200 block of Wilson Street, the Odessa American previously reported.Upon arrival, officers found five people who told them they were robbed by four suspects, including Flores, who was 17 at the time, a 15-year-old boy, another unknown male, and a 12-year-old girl, of their belongings at gunpoint, and then entered a Ford Fusion and sped off.Officers found the vehicle almost half an hour later heading south in the 400 block of Foster Avenue and tried pulling the driver over, but the driver gave chase before plowing into the chain-link fence of a house at the corner of Fall Avenue and Clements Street.The suspects bolted out of the vehicle but police caught three of the suspects, Flores, the 15-year-old boy and the 12-year-old girl, who were later identified as the robbers.Jail records show Flores has been in the Ector County Detention Center since March 2017 and has no bonds.Court records show Flores currently has a jury trial scheduled for 9 a.m. on June 4. By admin – May 25, 2018 WhatsApp Facebook Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Local NewsCrime Previous articlePolice searching for missing personNext articlePermian class of 2018 cherishes moment at ‘finish line’ during graduation admin
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink Message* Affordable Housingcity councilHotelsoffice market Email Address* Full Name* Tags City Council member Justin Brannan (Getty, Justin Brannan via Facebook)With various state-level proposals on the table, a City Council member wants to take the issue of office-to-housing conversions back to City Hall.Brooklyn Council member Justin Brannan plans to introduce a bill on Thursday that would create a task force to study the feasibility of converting vacant office space into affordable housing. Real estate groups, along with state officials, have voiced support for such an idea, but have disagreed over the best way of implementing it.Gov. Andrew Cuomo included a proposal in his executive budget that would override the city’s zoning rules to allow for hotel and office conversions that set aside 25 percent of apartments as affordable. Housing groups have panned that proposal for incentivizing more market-rate than affordable housing. The Senate has put forth a different measure that would permit the state to purchase distressed hotels and office buildings and convert them into housing exclusively for low-income and homeless New Yorkers.ADVERTISEMENTBrannan, who also floated the idea of conversions last year, said the issue should be discussed at the city level to determine the specific challenges of moving forward with a plan.“I think this falls somewhere between, ‘This is a great idea but it would never work,’ and a panacea,” he said. He noted that the focus would be office conversions, in anticipation of demand returning for hotels once tourism picks back up.Other cities, including Washington, D.C., have explored ways to incentivize commercial conversions. In August 2019, a task force concluded that there were opportunities in D.C. but that such conversions were “not the most efficient way to address the city’s pressing housing needs.” It recommended offering subsidies and zoning incentives instead.Conversions of older office buildings are already permitted in certain parts of New York City. The state also previously employed tax breaks to encourage office-to-residential changes in use, including the 421g program, which helped fuel the transformation of commercial buildings in Lower Manhattan in the 1990s. None of the state proposals under consideration include tax incentives.Mayor Bill de Blasio has criticized the governor’s plan, calling it a giveaway to the real estate industry. Several mayoral hopefuls have backed the idea of hotel and office conversions in general. During a forum last week, Andrew Yang projected that he could build roughly 5,000 housing units by investing $250 million in such projects.Brannan’s proposed task force would be headed by the commissioner of the Department of Housing Preservation and Development, and would include the head of the Department of Buildings, the City Council Speaker and Public Advocate. The group would be required to report its recommendations and findings within 270 days of the bill’s passage.Contact Kathryn Brenzel Share via Shortlink
Hundreds of immigrant youth have lost their ability to work, go to school, and operate their lives normally due to the administration’s arbitrary decision to rescind DACA. Congress has failed to protect our youth, who face an imminent threat as the President’s March 5th deadline looms to end their legal protections. More than 80 percent of Americans are in favor of a permanent solution for DREAMers, and the White House is using their popularity to request an astounding 21.5 billion dollars in the government spending bill to fund an unnecessary border wall, more immigration enforcement agents, more jail beds and prisons to detain immigrant families and DREAMers.The nation has urgent needs in healthcare, education and so many other areas; yet the Trump administration remains focused on wasting billions of taxpayer dollars to target immigrants instead of focusing on the country’s needs. The Florida Coalition on Immigration demand a legislative solution for DREAMers that doesn’t include increasing funding for immigration enforcement, border militarization, and the incessant profiling and harassment of our immigrant communities. Any legislative solution must not harm undocumented immigrants or increase family separations.The following is a statement from Ana Guevara, an DACA recipient and volunteer coordinator with the Florida Student Power Network:“As DACA Recipient, I am urging lawmakers to pass a legislation that will protect the undocumented youth WITHOUT putting our families and communities at risk. We will not support a bill that will criminalize our communities and put them at risk of deportation. We cannot wait any longer and continue to live our lives with uncertainty and fear. The time is now to pass a Clean Dream Act.”To occupy Congressional officesOn March 5th, Trump’s self-imposed deadline for providing a permanent solution for DREAMers, immigrant youth and allies from Florida will once again visit the nation’s capital, occupying Congressional offices and other spaces to demand that lawmakers act to protect them as an ever increasing number lose their work permits and protection from deportation, with an average of 122 per day losing their DACA status. They will join thousands of others from across the country in urging Congress to find a permanent solution for our DREAMers that doesn’t separate immigrant families.
Related Articles StumbleUpon VBET agrees Armenian Premier League and Armenian Cup sponsorship August 13, 2020 Share New Polish poker table in BetGames section for STS July 15, 2020 Share CasinoDesignPro has followed in the footsteps of Vegas Kings by designing two new games using the SlotBuilder from BetConstruct.Just a month after Vegas Kings utilised the service to launch Bling Spins and Soccer Shootout, the Lithuania-based igaming design studio has added Mystical Amber and Midsummer Magical Night to BetConstruct’s existing library of games.SlotBuilder has been designed to provide an easy and quick way to create a game without the need for a basic knowledge of coding.Alesia Ulanova, CEO of CasionDesignPro, said: “We are happy to announce our new cooperation with BetConstruct and developing two games using their Slot Builder. After completing the design, animation and soundtracks it took a week for us to connect it all together using Slot Builder. “We like the technical solutions of the Slot Builder very much. The structure of the constructor is easy and intuitive. We are very pleased with the results of the work and are now planning to continue our cooperation.”Edgar Mkrtchyan, Gaming Group Product Manager of BetConstruct, added: “Thanks to CasinoDesignPro we have added two new high quality HTML5 slots to BetConstruct’s wide gaming portfolio. Both Mystical Amber and Midsummer Magical Night are developed CasinoDesignPro professionals using BetConstruct’s SlotBuilder.” Nuno Gomes joins BetConstruct and FeedConstruct as brand ambassador June 18, 2020 Submit
Altenar: Supporting expansion plans in Denmark and Portugal August 20, 2020 Sweden: Soft2Bet CEO Chaikin on prospering in igaming’s brave new world August 18, 2020 Submit Share Alberto Alfieri: Leading the way for Gamingtec’s B2C growth August 25, 2020 Related Articles Share StumbleUpon The Danish government has revealed plans to raise the level of tax paid by igaming operators in Denmark, which is due to come into effect in 2021.Operators will now pay tax equal to 28% of gross gaming revenue, up from the previous 20%, which is expected to generate DKK150m (£17.1m) in tax revenues.Denmark’s Social Democratic Party-led minority government has received the support from a number of other left wing parties such as the Red-Green Alliance, Socialist People’s Party and Social Liberal Party to pass the budget.It is hoped that by raising the tax, additional funding can be supplied towards problem gambling support initiatives, as well as increased efforts to better regulate the market which opened up in 2012.The government emphasised that the level of online tax still remained lower than that imposed on land-based casinos and gaming machines. Casinos pay a 45% GGR tax, and a further 30% on revenue above DKK4m, while gaming machines pay 41% of GGR as well as 30% on revenue over DKK4,000 for restaurant-based machines, and the same levy on revenue over DKK250,000 in gaming machine halls.Earlier this year, gaming operators in Denmark voluntarily agreed to a new code of conduct which seeks to establish a definitive benchmark on gambling industry practices, with regards to advertising, reducing problem gambling harms, combined with comprehensive consumer protections.The enforcement of the code by online gambling operators will be monitored by the Danish Online Gambling Association (DOGA). Whilst licence holders in the area of gaming machines will be monitored by the Dansk Automat Brancheforening (Danish gaming machine industry association) and land-based casino by the Dansk Kasinoforening (Danish Casino Association).